Create a free forum in seconds.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
Johnny and Amber just held their engagement party in LA over the weekend. Johnny's got a break in his schedule, so you never know where he'll be or what'll happen next! Check back often, you never know what's going on!
Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no identifying images of his children be posted here.

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Next -BABYLON NIGHTS by Daniel Depp
Karen
  Posted: Jul 24 2010, 09:28 AM

Administrator/Owner

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I"ve heard that many of us all are struggling with the enormity of "A Transatlantic Love Affair" this summer. It's a lot of information and a seriously heavy book to take with us to the pool or beach. unsure.gif So... to give us all a bit more time to finish the book, I'm rescheduling our discussion and cyber trans Atlantic cruise on the infamous Queen Mary to November. That gives us all more time.

So...let's see....what's new and a fast easy read...and is available on all of those fun and easy to take with us electronic gadgets...not to mention that it's a LIGHTER weight book????

user posted image

Daniel Depp's next David Spandau book "Babylon Nights" is available the first week of August! Amazon has it and so do other international book selling sites. The UK cover seems to be different from the US cover, but that was the same with Losers Town.

Here's what the publisher says about Babylon Nights:

Fifteen years ago, Anna Mayhew won an Oscar for Best Actress. Rich, famous, and beautiful, she had the world at her feet. Nearly forty years old, Anna is being offered these days only bland supporting roles, the kind she got her acting started with. So she spends much of her time thinking up clever and dangerous methods of self-destruction.

But she may not have to kill herself after all. Anna discovers she has a stalker—Vincent, a crazed fan whose idea of love involves a straight razor and lots of blood. What better way to propel the name Anna Mayhew into film immortality? Enter David Spandau, ex-stuntman and private investigator, who has been hired by Anna's sister Pam to protect the star. But Anna doesn't want help—until she meets Spandau and decides she needs his intimate protection all the way to the Cannes Film Festival, where she's slated to be a judge.

Spandau finds himself falling for Anna, as well. But there's the not so small problem of trying to keep a woman alive who'd prefer to be dead. To complicate matters, Vincent has followed Anna to Cannes intent on a bloody consummation of their relationship and he is being tracked by Special, an opera-loving L.A. pimp trying to recover the mob-owned money Vincent stole from him.

So a deadly cat-and-mouse game that begins in the meat market of Hollywood culminates at the Roman orgy that is Cannes. Author Depp proves again to have the deadliest and most perceptive eye trained on the entertainment business today. With an enthralling, hair-raising final act, Babylon Nights is a twisted and sharply funny thrill ride that will delight Spandau fans and newcomers alike.

So...let's start our discussion Wednesday, Sept 15! This book is a very fast and thrilling read!!

And remember, we are NOT abandoning "A Transatlantic Love Affair" ...nope...we are just pushing it back so we all can finish it!

wink.gif

This post has been edited by Karen on Aug 12 2010, 06:59 AM

--------------------
Angelica to Jack - "How is it we can never meet without you pointing something at me?"
Rose Sparrow
Posted: Jul 24 2010, 12:59 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 63

I had started reading ATLA a little at a time when I was home because you are exactly right. It isn't something you can tuck in your bag and bring to the beach!

So this sounds good to me!
I'll be ready! woohoocheer.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Karen
Posted: Jul 26 2010, 09:11 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (Rose Sparrow @ Jul 24 2010, 01:59 PM)
I had started reading ATLA a little at a time when I was home because you are exactly right. It isn't something you can tuck in your bag and bring to the beach!

So this sounds good to me!
I'll be ready! woohoocheer.gif

I almost broke a toe with it. LOL

BUT...we WILL rejoin it later in the year...give us all a chance to read it and for our toes to heal.

Depp's new book is a fun and very quick read! wink.gif

--------------------
Angelica to Jack - "How is it we can never meet without you pointing something at me?"
Karen
Posted: Aug 3 2010, 10:34 AM

Administrator/Owner

Danny's book comes out today! Y'all will love this one!!!! I sure did!!

Discussion will start Sept. 15!

user posted image

--------------------
Rose Sparrow
Posted: Aug 4 2010, 12:53 PM

Advanced Member

Got mine today! snoopydance1.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Karen
Posted: Aug 4 2010, 02:31 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (Rose Sparrow @ Aug 4 2010, 01:53 PM)
Got mine today! snoopydance1.gif

Rose, I found this one a very fast read, I knocked it out in about three days!!! It's great!! I was not too crazy about his first one, but most all of the issues I had with "Loser's Town" don't exist in "Babylon NIghts"!!!

--------------------
Rose Sparrow
Posted: Aug 4 2010, 06:25 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Karen @ Aug 4 2010, 02:31 PM)
Got mine today!  snoopydance1.gif

Rose, I found this one a very fast read, I knocked it out in about three days!!! It's great!! I was not too crazy about his first one, but most all of the issues I had with "Loser's Town" don't exist in "Babylon NIghts"!!!

Loser's Town was very different than what I'm used to reading, but I did find it entertaining for the most part.

I'm trying to plow through what I'm reading now because I can't wait to get started on this one! tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Karen
Posted: Aug 4 2010, 09:04 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (Rose Sparrow @ Aug 4 2010, 07:25 PM)
QUOTE (Karen @ Aug 4 2010, 02:31 PM)
Got mine today!  snoopydance1.gif

Loser's Town was very different than what I'm used to reading, but I did find it entertaining for the most part.

I'm trying to plow through what I'm reading now because I can't wait to get started on this one! tongue.gif

I was sent an advance copy in ebook form and I ran through it pretty quickly. This time his POV is steady and he doesn't head hop so much. I really liked it much more than his first book. I'm anxious to hear what everyone has to say. thumbsup.gif

--------------------
Karen
Posted: Aug 12 2010, 07:03 AM

Administrator/Owner

smile.gif One of the mods over at Deppography was able to attend a signing event by Daniel Depp in California and was kind enough to post about her experiences. I think you'll find it WELL WORTH THE READ!! claphands.gif Thanks phigalilly for sharing your thoughts! It's an interesting thread, so give it a look!

http://deppography.proboards.com/index.cgi...ead=2258&page=1

I hope those who read Loser's Town will order Babylon Nights if your bookstores aren't going to have it in stock. I liked Loser's Town, and Spandau. Babylon Nights is a better book, I think, and David Spandau has the one essential quality the main character in a book series needs to have; he inspires curiosity. I want to know what's next for him, and how he will handle what comes his way. I'm not sure how to discuss the book here because I have a suspicion I'm the only one who's read it so far and I don't want to give too much away.

Once again I think characterization is what Daniel Depp does best. The characters, even the people who only appear in a scene or two, are quickly and clearly drawn in a way that sticks with you. This is what makes the story entertaining for me, and it's what makes the world he's created feel real while you're in it.

The story itself is nothing new, but what is? The twist, and I don't think I'm giving too much away, is that the star who is being stalked by a potential killer, is herself suicidal. So, does she want to be saved, or not? Well, pretty quickly we find out that, yes, she does want to be saved. We find that out so quickly that by the end when the issue of her suicide comes up again, (in another fun little twist that I thoroughly enjoyed) I had forgotten she wanted to die in the beginning.

It would be nice to have someone to discuss the book with (hint hint)... wink.gif

Now... on to the book signing!

I just got back from Daniel Depp's appearance in Corte Madera. There were surprisingly few people, ten maybe twelve. I saw him in El Cerrito for Loser's Town and it was also a pretty small crowd. From pictures I saw of other appearances he did for Loser's Town I know the crowds were bigger elsewhere than they were in the Bay Area. I have no idea why, but I do hope that's the case this time, as well.

It was fun, informative, and... I'm stuck for another adjective. I need one that conveys a feeling that I haven't quite worked out for myself, yet. I'm about to try, though, so you can either bear with me, or... go back to the crotch shot thread and enjoy. biggrin.gif

The man who introduced DD ended his introduction with something along the lines of "...<list of achievements>...and we may as well get this out of the way, he's also Johnny Depp's half brother." There was an elderly woman sitting in my row a few empty chairs away from me and when he said this she applauded and even giggled a little. There was some laughter about it from the group, but nothing mean spirited. The intro guy said "Thank you, Mrs. Depp." And DD said "Thanks, Mom." No one was laughing at her, I don't think. It was a cute moment, and it allowed DD to segue into his first topic of the evening - fan sites. DUNT DUNT DAAAAA!! :o

Oy vey.

He asked if anyone there was a member of one of Johnny's "fan clubs" and if so, which one. Three hands went up, I think. Three out of ten, none of them mine. I'm thinking fan "club"? I'm not in any club. Honestly, I'm thinking old school fan club like the Shaun Cassidy fan club I was in when I was eleven. As I'm coming back to the 21st century, I hear JDR and JD.org mentioned, and see DD nodding, and think Oooh... he does mean fan sites. So, then comes the question, should I be a puss, or should I admit an affiliation? I'm afraid I outed us, girls. I raised my hand and after stupidly clarifying that he did in fact mean internet fan sites, I nodded my head, he asked me which one, and I said, Deppography.

Other than nodding at each one mentioned, he didn't give any real indication whether or not he'd ever heard of the sites mentioned, although I'm sure he's heard of JDR, and no one mentioned the Zone. I tend to think of those as the only two sites anyone official would bother with. We're small and under the radar, right? biggrin.gif I think he was expecting to hear the Zone and was just nodding out of courtesy.

He then said that the fan sites had been very kind to him and he appreciated that, but after his first book tour, where he found out that fan site members who attend his appearances are acting as reporters for their site ( [image] ) he liked to know when we were there. Makes sense to me, and there was nothing to indicate any annoyance with us reporting back, just that it wasn't something he'd anticipated the first time around.

He read the first two chapters of the book, and answered questions. He talked about living in France and working in Hollywood, and about his last book tour and how hard it is to be just a writer now and sell books, without being a celebrity. I asked, based on the essay he wrote for The Times a couple of weeks ago, why he doesn't make movies in France, and it turns out he is working on getting financing for three films in England. He's going to produce, not direct. He doesn't want to direct. He's producing and writing the screenplays.

Then there was a long talk about the cult of celebrity. Now, here, I don't want to go too much into what he said as there is no way for me not to misrepresent his thoughts and ideas. In the barest, simplest terms I'll say, he talked about how mythology used to be created over long periods of time, and how Hollywood is now manufacturing our mythology in a way that is unhealthy in every conceivable way. I agree with much of what he had to say, and also disagree with some of his conclusions. We are, of course, seeing the issue from very different perspectives. I wouldn't imagine we'd come to the same conclusions. I guess the challenging feeling I'm left with is the idea, accurate or not, that my perspective, a "fans" perspective on the whole discussion would be an intrusion on a forgone conclusion. He's got it all worked out, but I didn't see myself in there anywhere.

Part of the problem, I think, and I'm not talking about DD, is that most fans are women, and there is a cultural disdain for "women" things. The behavior of women is often pathologized. One of the examples DD used is something that happened to Heath Ledger at a premiere. Some idiot squirt water in his face. He didn't know it was water, and it could have been anything, terrifying. It wasn't a fan who did that, it was as asshole. It was an asshole in a crowd of fans, and although he didn't specify, I'm sure it was a man. It's an important distinction for me, but I can absolutely see how it wouldn't mean squat if my brother were the potential target of that asshole hiding in the crowd.

... of course, now I'm remembering mariasparrow and thinking I'm the one who's full of pineapple. biggrin.gif

Anyway, it's a complicated issue. More complicated than can be pinned on one century of Hollywood movie making. I just hope that the lady who applauded and giggled didn't leave feeling embarrassed or ashamed for feeling the way she does. I don't think that was DD's intention, at all. There were moments that felt like it does when my friends say they would shoot themselves if they ever weighed X and X happens to be a goal that's two goals down from where I am now. Now, they're not really saying "I'd rather die than be you" but... yea, they are.

--------------------
nurseanne8
Posted: Aug 12 2010, 05:00 PM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12

Interesting information thanks for posting Karen and thanks to the mod from Deppo for posting the information. I have read the book and enjoyed it and I would read a 3rd novel if and when one is published. Anne r thumbsup.gif smile.gif
Karen
Posted: Aug 12 2010, 08:32 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (nurseanne8 @ Aug 12 2010, 06:00 PM)
Interesting information thanks for posting Karen and thanks to the mod from Deppo for posting the information. I have read the book and enjoyed it and I would read a 3rd novel if and when one is published. Anne r thumbsup.gif smile.gif

Glad you enjoyed the read Anne and sign me up for this next one too! I really didn't like "Loser's Town" at all. This one is so much better!!! Looking forward to our discussion in Sept. I'll do some background info on LA and Cannes starting around Labor Day!

--------------------
irish1967
Posted: Aug 20 2010, 06:49 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 73

I've lurked quite a bit the past several months but haven't had the energy to post (it has been a VERY difficult year) but am in for the book discussion.

Buying the book on another tab right now! It is good to be back.

wub.gif

--------------------
I did that without a single drop of rum! -- Captain Jack Sparrow

It is to be happy and at the same time to be aware of it. --Vanessa Paradis
Karen
Posted: Aug 20 2010, 06:53 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (irish1967 @ Aug 20 2010, 07:49 PM)
I've lurked quite a bit the past several months but haven't had the energy to post (it has been a VERY difficult year) but am in for the book discussion.

Buying the book on another tab right now! It is good to be back.

wub.gif

applause.gif It's SO good to see you back!!! I'm so sad to hear that this has been a difficult year for you! grouphug.gif

I really did enjoy this book and I hope you do too!! Welcome back!

--------------------
irish1967
Posted: Aug 22 2010, 04:48 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 73

Karen - Thank you for the warm welcome back.

We are in the process of establishing a "new normal" (those who have been through it will know what I mean rolleyes.gif ) and I definitely need to get back in the reading groove.

I downloaded the book and really enjoyed starting to read it!

Can't wait for the discussion to begin.

--------------------
I did that without a single drop of rum! -- Captain Jack Sparrow

It is to be happy and at the same time to be aware of it. --Vanessa Paradis
Karen
Posted: Aug 22 2010, 05:21 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (irish1967 @ Aug 22 2010, 05:48 PM)
Karen - Thank you for the warm welcome back.

We are in the process of establishing a "new normal" (those who have been through it will know what I mean rolleyes.gif ) and I definitely need to get back in the reading groove.

I downloaded the book and really enjoyed starting to read it!

Can't wait for the discussion to begin.

I do understand establishing a "new normal." So we are doubly happy to see you back!

I can't wait to talk about this book either!! claphands.gif

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Pages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2013 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com