Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!
We've had news that Johnny's project with JP Donleavy, THE GINGER MAN is finally moving forward. And we've also heard that "Pintel" will be returning for POTC5! I can't help but wonder who will be next?

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no paparazzi images of his children be posted.

Pages: (55) « First ... 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Updates on Dark Shadows, 2 exclusive pix p.50NEW PIC P.55 12/13
ivycastle
Posted: Nov 4 2010, 03:11 PM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5

That man sure has a complicated schedule right now.
Joanie

--------------------
user posted image
depplyinluv
Posted: Nov 4 2010, 05:23 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,037

Oh please do the Tom Hanks movie before anything else with Tim. I know they have been trying to do DS forever and Tim is a great friend, but I (and I'm pretty sure it's not just me) would like the Johnny/Tim duo to give it a rest for a while. Something different please, and something different with someone like Tom Hanks would be great. please.gif

Debbie
herestoyou
Posted: Nov 4 2010, 06:18 PM

Member No.: 21

Thanks for the info. Karen--I'm afraid I'm disappointed that he may not do the film w/Bigelow as well. DS will always be there, it's not going anywhere, but this other film seems like a role Johnny could sink his teeth into(OK, I know that goes with DS, too laugh.gif ) I think the vampire genre is just too flooded right now even though I LOVED DS growing up.

-Donna

--------------------
"It is not the destination so much as the journey" ~Capt. Jack Sparrow
Karen
Posted: Nov 4 2010, 06:21 PM

Administrator/Owner

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I'm with you all on this, I want the Bigelow- Hanks film or even the Snow White film first....he just did Alice with Tim and I'd love to see something new and different!!

--------------------
user posted image

No, I don't need help with my bags...I have a bloody manservant! - Charlie Mortdecai
Karen
Posted: Nov 8 2010, 06:43 PM

Administrator/Owner

--------------------
user posted image

No, I don't need help with my bags...I have a bloody manservant! - Charlie Mortdecai
herestoyou
Posted: Nov 8 2010, 07:21 PM

I could see Hathaway as Victoria.........

-Donna

--------------------
Miroux
Posted: Nov 8 2010, 08:57 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 756

Oh I think she'd be a PERFECT Victoria Winters! Now...how 'bout Angelique?

--------------------
user posted image
Karen
Posted: Nov 16 2010, 07:36 AM

Administrator/Owner

Don't know that there is anything new here, but...

http://www.blogofdarkshadows.com/?p=152 /

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW:
Dark Shadows Consulting Producer Jim Pierson
November 15, 2010 by Ed Gross

Filed under Features, Movie of Dark Shadows, News of Dark Shadows

As Dark Shadows inches ever so slowly towards production, and while excitement is building, the real question on the minds of fans is just what kind of film the eighth collaboration between actor Johnny Depp and director Tim Burton will result in. “It’s definitely going to be Gothic,” offers Dark Shadows consulting producer Jim Pierson. “I think that Sleepy Hollow is going to be your best comparison.”

Pierson, is extremely hopeful about the new version, believing that this specific combination of actor and director will result in a Dark Shadows for the 21st century. “I think that Johnny is such a charismatic and creative guy,” Pierson enthuses, “and very romantic for the women, and I think he’ll find a way to infuse the character with not only the mystery, but the romance as well. We’ve never seen him play a creature of the night who’s looking for redemption and salvation and love.”

That creature of the night, of course, is vampire Barnabas Collins, turned in the late 1700s and ultimately chained in a coffin by his father, who was unable to destroy him. Flash forward a couple of centuries, and fortune-seeking handyman Willie Loomis, an employee at the family estate of Collinwood in the fictional Collinsport, Maine, stumbles upon that coffin, opening it in the expectation of treasure. What he gets, instead, is a resurrected Barnabas Collins, who, now free, attempts to pass himself off to the rest of the Collins family as a cousin from England while secretly feeding on victims.

It’s the premise that introduced the character (as played by actor Jonathan Frid) in the 1966-71 soap opera created by the late Curtis, the 1970 feature film House of Dark Shadows, the 1991 prime time version that featured Ben Cross as Barnabas, and the 2004 WB pilot starring Alec Newman in the role. An additional point that needs to be emphasized is that long before Angel or Edward Cullen, Barnabas was the first reluctant and repentant vampire. He didn’t start off that way, but as Dark Shadows evolved and the character’s popularity grew, the decision was made to make him sympathetic — an approach to the undead that has been taken and evolved ever since.

Something new that will be brought to light in the Dark Shadows film will likely be a true exploration of the man out of time element that the previous incarnations have touched on, but never truly explored. “Actually that’s what we were going to do in the 2004 show,” says Pierson of the pilot that didn’t go to series. “We were going to be a little more realistic or a little more detail-oriented, and bring up the fact that here’s a guy who’s been entombed for a couple of centuries and he’s not going to instinctively get behind the wheel of a car. He’s not going to know how to dial a phone, or flip a switch for electricity or know what running water is. So we were actually talking about addressing that then. Not get too cutesy with it, but do something that humanizes the character.

“Depp does have that deep capacity for conveying and playing that old-fashioned, romantic kind of wanderlust,” he continues. “I think he has that ability, because he is such a quirky and artistic and passionate craftsman. He’s a leading man character actor. He’s just a really special blend, I think. And he’s also got a boy’s quality, even though he’s a mature man. He’s got a youthful maturity, and I think he’ll hit so many targets at once in doing this. And the fact that Burton has got a strong affinity for the horror genre and for Dark Shadows, I think makes this a labor of love… or a blood lust.. for both of them. And Dan’s spirit is in there as well. The film is dedicated in his honor and it’s not going to be such a radical reworking so much as it will simply be a reframing of Dark Shadows for the 21st Century, while keeping the essence of what came before.”

--------------------
user posted image

shadowdog
Posted: Nov 16 2010, 05:27 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 49

QUOTE (Karen @ Nov 4 2010, 06:21 PM)
I'm with you all on this, I want the Bigelow- Hanks film or even the Snow White film first....he just did Alice with Tim and I'd love to see something new and different!!

True that we just got AIW; but we will see The Tourist, Rango, POTC4, and Rum Diary all within the next year. So I have no problem with Dark Shadows being next up. And it looks pretty certain now that DS will start shooting in April.
Karen
Posted: Nov 16 2010, 05:49 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (shadowdog @ Nov 16 2010, 06:27 PM)
QUOTE (Karen @ Nov 4 2010, 06:21 PM)

True that we just got AIW; but we will see The Tourist, Rango, POTC4, and Rum Diary all within the next year. So I have no problem with Dark Shadows being next up. And it looks pretty certain now that DS will start shooting in April.

True, but I am so tired of Depp and Burton. rolleyes.gif Sheesh what is this their 9th film? And I am a HUGE DS fan....we even know what it will look like. Sleepy Hollow meets Sweeney Todd in current times... huh.gif

--------------------
user posted image

herestoyou
Posted: Nov 16 2010, 08:36 PM

I like that they're updating the "entombed vampire wakes up on the 21st century" angle, and I would love for DS to made----someday. Just too much vampire stuff out right now and I think the Bigelow film would have stretched Johnny a bit in a more "normal" direction. I love Tim's work and I'm sure I'll see DS, but would like to see more "normal" type charcters for awhile--just my opinion.

-Donna

--------------------
absinthe
Posted: Nov 17 2010, 12:37 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Newbie
Member No.: 8,104

Yes, more 'normal characters', Johnny, please !
BaxterPeanut
Posted: Nov 17 2010, 08:28 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,008

I hate being a contrarian and sound like a broken record but, for me, I would SO much prefer the Bigelow/Hanks Triple Frontier project over DS right now. I know it's his production company, his best friend, etc etc., but geez I would love to see him in the Bigelow gig. IMO, and really don't want to sound negative, but it wouldn't be awful for Depp/Burton give it a little rest. Work with different directors, unique approaches, contemporary stories, "real" scenarios, and the like. Maybe it's me, but I would hate to see him missing out on some real gems. (Not that what we get aren't gems and his choices are solid...I guess I'm being a little selfish in my tastes. Would like to see him stick with the route of "one for them, one for me" attitude a la Clooney, Downey in some respects. OK, just rambling now, sorry...obviously I have broken needle on this topic!! blink.gif
Karen
Posted: Nov 17 2010, 09:07 AM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (BaxterPeanut @ Nov 17 2010, 09:28 AM)
I hate being a contrarian and sound like a broken record but, for me, I would SO much prefer the Bigelow/Hanks Triple Frontier project over DS right now. I know it's his production company, his best friend, etc etc., but geez I would love to see him in the Bigelow gig. IMO, and really don't want to sound negative, but it wouldn't be awful for Depp/Burton give it a little rest. Work with different directors, unique approaches, contemporary stories, "real" scenarios, and the like. Maybe it's me, but I would hate to see him missing out on some real gems. (Not that what we get aren't gems and his choices are solid...I guess I'm being a little selfish in my tastes. Would like to see him stick with the route of "one for them, one for me" attitude a la Clooney, Downey in some respects. OK, just rambling now, sorry...obviously I have broken needle on this topic!! blink.gif

It's OK...we all have opinions and want to see Johnny stretch and try new things. I LOVE me some Dark Shadows, but want to see Johnny try different directors and enter into different kinds of films.

I go to a certain chain ice cream store, with LOTS of flavors...while I have my favs, I like to try new or seasonal things. Just to experience something new and different. Doesn't mean I like the favorite any less, but new and exciting things can happen and new favorites can be found!

wink.gif

--------------------
user posted image

SShaboat
Posted: Nov 21 2010, 04:01 PM

Member No.: 8,111

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Pages: (55) « First ... 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2014 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com