InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
Johnny and Amber just held their engagement party in LA over the weekend. Johnny's got a break in his schedule, so you never know where he'll be or what'll happen next! Check back often, you never know what's going on!
Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no identifying images of his children be posted here.

Day 14 - Similarities?
Karen
Posted: Jun 14 2010, 06:55 AM

Administrator/Owner

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

user posted image

Day14 - Returning to our departure town of Tortuga. Off loading travelers through out today and tomorrow.

Weather - Gorgeous

user posted image

Today's final discussion point:

As we read through Tim's fascinating book about pirates I think some "similarities" were noticed between the three POTC movies and this book published in 1987.

Let's take this time to share our thoughts.

I want to thank you all for your participation in not only our cyber cruise, but also our chat about this book. I know some of you were able to stay for the entire trip while others were in and out and some had to leave early for other voyages. Thanks for your PMs and emails letting me know when a cyber helicopter was needed. Travel safely and for goodness sakes, don't pick up any travelers who are barefoot and whose clothes have been sewn shut.

wink.gif We hoist our colors for the last time today as we wind down our On Stranger Tides discussion. These discussions never close and are always open for comment, so please feel free to add to any thread if something occurs to you at any point.

user posted image

And as always, when pirate adventures come to an end we like to say.... drink up me hearties yo HO!

--------------------
Angelica to Jack - "How is it we can never meet without you pointing something at me?"
Rose Sparrow
Posted: Jun 14 2010, 10:34 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 63

Maybe Ted and Terry read this book before they wrote POTC. tongue.gif

I'm sure we all couldn't help but notice things since we're all so POTC savvy, so here's a few of mine.

Davies called John 'pup' which I know was short for puppeteer, and CJS calls Will 'the whelp'.
John wants girl. Davies wants ship.
Compass key piece of story.
Spilled blood.
Seemed like John had a 'touch of destiny'.
Marriage happened at spur of the moment.
Undead crewing a ship.
Davies 'gives his word' then lies.

--------------------
user posted image
Karen
Posted: Jun 14 2010, 11:09 AM

Administrator/Owner

Good ones Rose!!

Here are a few of the things I saw,

Name similarities...Jack, Beth

Skeletal undead fighting pirates

The mention of a man being marooned on an island with a pistol.

In DMC ElizaBETH all of a sudden is a puppeteer when she rigs her wedding dress and flies it from the ship to fool people.

Tia Dalma uses Vodun to raise Barbossa from the dead.

In POTC 1 - Will uses his skill with a sword early on in the story to stop Jack from escaping and then at the end the same "skill" is used to save Jack from the gallow. In OST John uses his skill as a puppeteer to gain favor of the pirates and save himself, at the end John uses that same skill to save them all by turning Hurwood into a puppet.

I know there are more....

wink.gif

--------------------
Angelica to Jack - "How is it we can never meet without you pointing something at me?"
Rose Sparrow
Posted: Jun 14 2010, 11:47 AM

Advanced Member

Oh! That's a great one Karen!
Lizzie and the flying dress! laugh.gif

Comparing the skills of using a sword and puppetry is a good one too!
Now how did I not think of Tia resurrecting Barabossa!

--------------------
user posted image
HeidiGrant40
Posted: Jun 14 2010, 02:28 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 307

What about dead faces in the fountain and the dead bodies floating in the water in At Worlds End? too much of a stretch?
Karen
Posted: Jun 14 2010, 03:22 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (Rose Sparrow @ Jun 14 2010, 12:47 PM)
Oh! That's a great one Karen!
Lizzie and the flying dress! laugh.gif

Comparing the skills of using a sword and puppetry is a good one too!
Now how did I not think of Tia resurrecting Barabossa!

I just know that there are more.... tongue.gif The first thing I thought of when I read that Chandagnac was a puppeteer was ElizaBETH miraculously having the skills to string up that dress and make it wave in the winds. laugh.gif

--------------------
Karen
Posted: Jun 14 2010, 03:23 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (HeidiGrant40 @ Jun 14 2010, 03:28 PM)
What about dead faces in the fountain and the dead bodies floating in the water in At Worlds End? too much of a stretch?

Too much of a stretch? Not for me! laugh.gif

--------------------
Karen
Posted: Jun 15 2010, 05:59 AM

Administrator/Owner

OH OH OH!! I forgot about t his one:

In DMC the pirate crew had come part of the sea and in OST they were becoming a part of the swamp! Same theory....

--------------------
Rose Sparrow
Posted: Jun 15 2010, 07:54 AM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Karen @ Jun 15 2010, 05:59 AM)
OH OH OH!! I forgot about t his one:

In DMC the pirate crew had come part of the sea and in OST they were becoming a part of the swamp! Same theory....

Another goodie Karen!
I can totally see that!

--------------------
user posted image
herestoyou
Posted: Jun 19 2010, 10:55 PM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 21

Wow--you all have covered some great similarities here!

How about the whole trip up the swamp to see TD in DMC similar to the trip up the swamp to the FOYouth?

The cutting of Beth's hand to drop the blood at the FOYouth---Lizzie's hand was cut in P1 to hopefully undo he curse of the medallions.

-Donna

--------------------
"It is not the destination so much as the journey" ~Capt. Jack Sparrow
Karen
Posted: Jun 20 2010, 05:51 AM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (herestoyou @ Jun 19 2010, 11:55 PM)

How about the whole trip up the swamp to see TD in DMC similar to the trip up the swamp to the FOYouth?

The cutting of Beth's hand to drop the blood at the FOYouth---Lizzie's hand was cut in P1 to hopefully undo he curse of the medallions.

-Donna

VERY GOOD Donna!! That swamp trip is very similar!!! Thanks for adding those, I'd forgotten that ElizaBETH was made to shed blood! wink.gif

--------------------
Rose Sparrow
Posted: Jun 20 2010, 08:18 AM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (herestoyou @ Jun 19 2010, 10:55 PM)

-Donna

Good ones Donna! thumbsup.gif

Question- Did CJS have a monkey's paw on his belt ( maybe a Mate Care For) or just his mother's shrunken head.

I know, fetch some irons for me, but I can't remember! unsure.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Karen
Posted: Jun 20 2010, 11:24 AM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (Rose Sparrow @ Jun 20 2010, 09:18 AM)
QUOTE (herestoyou @ Jun 19 2010, 10:55 PM)

-Donna

Good ones Donna! thumbsup.gif

Question- Did CJS have a monkey's paw on his belt ( maybe a Mate Care For) or just his mother's shrunken head.

I know, fetch some irons for me, but I can't remember! unsure.gif

Rose Sparrow, I do believe the good captain DID have a monkey's paw on his belt! Could very well have been Mate Care For or something very much like it!

--------------------
Rose Sparrow
Posted: Jun 20 2010, 05:34 PM

Advanced Member

thankyou.gif Karen!

--------------------
user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2013 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com