InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
We've seen the first teaser trailer for MORTDECAI! How fun!!
THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS is still filming in the UK and it looks like Johnny's there filming!

TUSK opens Friday the 19th here in the US!

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no paparazzi images of his children be posted.

Day 10 - The Fountain
Karen
Posted: Jun 10 2010, 06:21 AM

Administrator/Owner

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

user posted image
Disney

Day 10 - moored offshore Florida, near the cypress swamps, prepare to board tenders that will take us into the swamps shorty

Weather - Dark day with eerie fast roiling clouds, still damp air

user posted image

After our expedition on shore, we'll return here. unsure.gif

As we continue along the adventure. the story follows along the path to the Fountain. So much happens, a extra companion manifests, some shed blood and drank of the waters - some did not, Beth realizes that her father has her mother's head in the box. Their return trip was almost more eerie than the Fountain experience...talking fungus heads and their bodies being taken over by plants as more "ghosts" visit.

Please share your thoughts about the whole "fountain of youth" experience that we read about in Chapters 14 and 15.

--------------------
user posted image

No, I don't need help with my bags...I have a bloody manservant! - Charlie Mortdecai
herestoyou
Posted: Jun 10 2010, 10:29 AM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 21

I think I had part of my thoughts in the other thread, but as several mentioned---not my idea of how the FOYouth would work! blink.gif It was VERY creepy and definitely not a pleasant experience for those involved. If I understood it correctly, if you didn't do things the right way, you might end up on the "death" side of the fountain instead of being able to have eternal life. Even so, the idea that you had to "die" and then have your blood drop into the water in order to be reborn would have made me turn away. However, we see how determined BB & Hurwood both are so they were willing to do anything. I liked how we had Jack's thoughts along the way because I think they reflected what the reader may have been thinking, too.

Also, that trip back---wow---we almost lost the whole group to becoming part of the forest. Those talking fungus heads gave me flashes of the talking flowers in AIW though-lol. I'm glad that Davies was quick thinking in using the mud to help break the spell they were all falling under. Also, liked that Jack's dad helped guide them out of the swamp.

-Donna

--------------------
"It is not the destination so much as the journey" ~Capt. Jack Sparrow
Karen
Posted: Jun 10 2010, 04:46 PM

Administrator/Owner

These were a group of very determined people! Those talking fungus heads reminded me of Alice in Wonderland too!! After Jack's experience getting to the fountain, I was really happy to read that it was his father's voice that he heard guiding them through the swamp/river and not a voice from some place else. BBeard, Hurwood and Friend were so determined to shed blood there! They ALL had selfish motivations.

I don't know what to make of the vines, plants and trees taking over the human bodies, but it sure did remind me of another pirate movie story. wink.gif

--------------------
user posted image

No, I don't need help with my bags...I have a bloody manservant! - Charlie Mortdecai
Rose Sparrow
Posted: Jun 10 2010, 07:24 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 63

Animate plants, ghosts and faces in a fountain, OH MY!
If I was really there I would have covered my eyes and sat there and cried!
But on this cyber trip we're on 'I give no quarter! laugh.gif

I really can't add much to what everyone said however I did find one thing particularly interesting.
Bear with me on this one!
When they were heading back, Jack turned and saw what looked like a monastery or convent, p.184.
I had to look back and on p.13, Beth tells Jack that her father said she had a 'brain fever that she got from a convent in Scotland'. I also remember that somewhere else in the book she described the convent as having no bibles or crucifixes.
Could it be she was there before?
Most likely I'm reading too much it to it.
I'm such a sucker for hidden meanings! tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Karen
Posted: Jun 10 2010, 07:32 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (Rose Sparrow @ Jun 10 2010, 08:24 PM)
But on this cyber trip we're on 'I give no quarter!  laugh.gif

I really can't add much to what everyone said however I did find one thing particularly interesting.
When they were heading back, Jack turned and saw what looked like a monastery or convent, p.184.
I had to look back and on p.13, Beth tells Jack that her father said she had a 'brain fever that she got from a convent in Scotland'. I also remember that somewhere else in the book she described the convent as having no bibles or crucifixes.
I'm such a sucker for hidden meanings!  tongue.gif

Rose that's really a very interesting thought! And I think you could be on to something!

I'm going to go through the book now...looking for that reference...I know it's there somewhere.

AND if you are right in your thoughts about Beth, it sure does change her character background doesn't it? BUT either way??? It's a great point to debate! Thanks so much for going out on that limb and sharing this with us! bounceypirate.gif

--------------------
user posted image

herestoyou
Posted: Jun 10 2010, 08:30 PM

Interesting point Rose! I remember that bit but I didn't connect it to Beth! I think it's worth a recheck on my part, too!

-Donna

--------------------
Karen
Posted: Jun 10 2010, 08:56 PM

Administrator/Owner

Found it! Rose this was mentioned on page 119!

--------------------
user posted image

Rose Sparrow
Posted: Jun 10 2010, 09:21 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Karen @ Jun 10 2010, 08:56 PM)
Found it! Rose this was mentioned on page 119!

Yes! That's the part.
thankyou.gif Karen!

So she probably was in a Scotland convent but her on the wall, waving, people afraid of the place, it was so much like when they were leaving the fountain that I couldn't ignore it. tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Karen
Posted: Jun 10 2010, 09:43 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (Rose Sparrow @ Jun 10 2010, 10:21 PM)
QUOTE (Karen @ Jun 10 2010, 08:56 PM)
Found it!  Rose this was mentioned on page 119!

Yes! That's the part.
thankyou.gif Karen!

So she probably was in a Scotland convent but her on the wall, waving, people afraid of the place, it was so much like when they were leaving the fountain that I couldn't ignore it. tongue.gif

I'm so glad that you brought that point up Rose, it sure has be thinking!

--------------------
user posted image

Karen
Posted: Jun 11 2010, 03:28 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (Rose Sparrow @ Jun 10 2010, 08:24 PM)
But on this cyber trip we're on 'I give no quarter!  laugh.gif

I'm such a sucker for hidden meanings!  tongue.gif

We've heard from OST author Tim Powers about Rose Sparrow's thoughts about Beth and that "convent."

From Tim Powers:
  I believe Rose Sparrow is right. It seems to me that Jack glimpsed that monastery or convent during that dark walk to the Fountain, when everybody's memories seemed to be spilling over, and he got flashes from the pasts of Blackbeard, Davies and Hurwood. This would have been a fleeting look into Elizabeth's memories -- and I seem to recall that he saw a lonely figure on the convent wall? That would of course have been Elizabeth herself, wishing somebody would take her away from the dreadful place.

And since the "convent" had no bibles or crucifixes, I doubt that it was a real convent! Probably it was some cult devoted to breaking down people's minds, and Hurwood sent there to get her personality loosened up so it could later be kicked right out, to make room for her mother's.

So there you have it! Right from the author! Good job Rose! Thanks so much for being willing to share your thoughts!

--------------------
user posted image

herestoyou
Posted: Jun 11 2010, 04:34 PM

Thanks Mr. Powers for that information! Good eye Poison Rose---and the figure was waving at Jack when they were leaving, too , I believe--maybe a sign that their paths would be crossing again?

-Dastardly Donna

--------------------
Rose Sparrow
Posted: Jun 11 2010, 05:08 PM

Advanced Member

It never occured to me that Jack had a flash of other people's past except Beth's!
Sure makes perfect sense now!

thankyou.gif so much Mr. Powers for taking the time to answer that for us!
And thank you Karen!
Always at the ready! bowdown.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Karen
Posted: Jun 11 2010, 05:16 PM

Administrator/Owner

His information does make you think about what we read!

Tim's incredibly generous with us!

WTG Rose Sparrow!

--------------------
user posted image

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2013 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com