InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
We've seen the first teaser trailer for MORTDECAI! How fun!!
THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS is still filming in the UK and it looks like Johnny's there filming!

TUSK opens Friday the 19th here in the US!

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no paparazzi images of his children be posted.

Author Jerry Stahl interview
Karen
Posted: Jan 21 2007, 05:29 PM

Administrator/Owner

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Click here

CRASH HIS FUNERAL AND ALL WILL BECOME CLEAR: JERRY STAHL UNCORKED
The Stop Smiling Interview with Jerry Stahl

Author Jerry Stahl

Sunday, December 11, 2005 BY CHUCK MINDENHALL Jerry Stahl first gained recognition in the mid-'90s when he published his soul-bearing memoir Permanent Midnight, a work that was eventually made into a movie starring Ben Stiller as a beleaguered junkie-cum-television writer. Stahl has since published three books of fiction that have solidified his reputation as a slightly warped, always funny cult-lit hero: Perv: A Love Story, Plainclothes Naked, and his most recent, I, Fatty, which fictionally tells the heretofore untold story of silent film actor Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle's life. In each work Stahl's prose becomes a fiercely witty cornucopia of slang and colloquialisms to befit his subject matter.

Though there are many facets at play in Stahl's writing – with themes varying from rampant teenage pilgrimages in Perv to the hallucinatory crime caper in Plainclothes Naked – there's an uncensored channel to the down-n-out, and the obsessive commentary of junkiedom. Though he's been sober now for over a decade, Stahl understandably carries a chip on his shoulder. Having known the “hell” of the gutter, of being a full-fledged heroin addict and toiling at a fast-food window at an age that nears the legal minimum to be President of the United States, Stahl has a real sense of who he is and he never forgets where he came from.

Jerry sat down to discuss his literary influences, the humbling experience of teaching kids in juvey hall, future film and book projects that he's working – and he even turns the tables on the interviewer here and there with unmistakable Stahlian charm.

Stop Smiling: Why do you write fiction?

Jerry Stahl: As a young delusional teen, two forces smacked me in the face: rock n' roll and writing. I sucked too badly on guitar to make it in a band, so I decided to jump into the prose pool, moved by giants like Philip Roth, Stanley Elkin, Nabokov, Bruce Jay Friedman, Beckett, Flannery O'Connor, Ishmael Reed, Terry Southern, Nathanael West, John Barth, Hubert Selby and others whose dark, hysterical, unsparing, occasionally desperate and beautiful vision of life as it was lived somehow spoke to my own inchoate sensation of things. I also had the top of my head blown off by “Howl.”

SS: You currently write for television's “CSI”; you've written four novels published and six unpublished; and you've been a columnist for Details, a contributor for Playboy, LA Weekly and others, not to mention the father of a teenage girl. How do you find the time for everything?

JS: You flatter me. Details fired me the day after they threw me a book party for my last book. (It may or may not have had something to do with mocking the life-size Vin Diesel poster propped outside the entrance to the restaurant.) I haven't written for the Weekly for years, outside of a small homage to the late genius, Hubert Selby, and I've done one Playboy piece, an interview with my pal Owen Wilson, in the past decade. For the rest, I'm just trying to find a way to juggle paying the mortgage and funding my daughter's future college tuition with staying creative and not blowing my brains out. You didn't include screenwriting in your question, and that is the main way I have managed to survive, from time to time, as a not unwealthy fellow.

While my list of soon-to-be-never made scripts grows ever bigger, I have had the great good fortune to work with people I admire, like Johnny Depp and Ben Stiller, Philip Kaufman and Laurence Dunmore, among others. I also do a busload of script-doctoring. There is, of course, the temptation for a soul to bitch about spilling blood on the page for months, only to write something that ultimately ends up on a studio shelf somewhere, unmade – which is why I keep a framed photo of myself, looking mildly retarded in my McDonalds uniform at the ripe age of 38, to keep things in perspective. Anytime I hear a screenwriter bitch about the indignities of his or her profession, I want to tell them, "Go work at Mickey D's for a few weeks, motherfucker. Then come back and talk to me about humiliation."

Beyond that, I've been teaching at a juvenile hall once a week, working with gangbangers waiting to turn 18 and get sent away for a couple of decades. And that's been as rewarding as anything I've done my entire life. Hearing those gates lock behind when you walk out gives you a whole new vision of reality. These guys occupy a parallel universe few white people get – or care – to glimpse.

SS: The point is that you're a very busy guy. Describe a typical day for you.

JS: So far they're not typical. I try to keep them atypical. I think that helps fend off senility.

SS: Your novels, particularly your latest, I, Fatty and your memoir, Permanent Midnight, are the very definition of tragicomedy. Do funny and sad go hand-in-hand for you?

JS: I don't know if they exactly hold hands. They're probably trying to kiss each other to death.

SS: You had to take liberties in telling Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle's story as if viewed from his own eyes, such as your conclusion that Fatty was impotent and that Paramount's Adolph Zukor might have framed him in the rape/murder of Virginia Rappe. Did any Fatty buffs or Hollywood historians give you hell over the book?

JS: People always have opinions. But hell is better than silence.

SS: How long did it take you to research and write I, Fatty?

JS: I actually hired a researcher for the more arcane details, a great guy named David Berman, who's an expert in the field, and actually gives tours of the great dead movie palaces of downtown LA. Oddly enough, David also plays an assistant coroner on “CSI.” Small world.

SS: Anybody approach you for making it into a movie?

JS: Actually, Johnny Depp optioned it when it came out, and we've been working with the British director Laurence Dunmore – whose first movie Johnny stars in, with Samantha Morton and John Malkovich [The Libertine] – on making a movie out of it.

SS: You have an addictive personality. I've read somewhere that you have a harder time not writing than writing. Is writing a compulsion for you?

JS: Digging ditches is hard. Not having rent money or food for your kid is hard. What writing is is writing.

SS: The characters you write about are people with drug addictions, sexual problems, social disorders, etc, yet you manage brilliantly to provide them with this underlying, inverse belief that it's the world around them that's fucked up. Is this a conscious thing?

JS: Thanks for the compliment. I suppose whatever mirror an author holds up to the world, there are ultimately two reflections: one being his own, and one the reader's. I'll leave you to decide which you are looking at in the above description. At the end of the proverbial day – to mix metaphors – the reaction to any book is ultimately a Rorschach of the reader's own sensibility.

SS: You seem to relish the underdog. Do you find a kinship in telling the story of somebody who functions in spite of dysfunctional circumstances?

JS: One man's dysfunction is another man's dream cruise. That said, I suppose I do identify with outsiders, having felt like one most of my life.

SS: Your books take jabs at the oft-times ridiculous nature of Hollywood and the public who worships its every move. On some level, do you detest the film industry and the vainglory of the Hollywood actor?

JS: That would be a little pompous, not to mention hypocritical and boring. Humans tend to be a ridiculous species, but Hollywood is just one lily pad in the poisoned swamp we inhabit.

SS: You've tapped the truer human psyche, haven't you? That people are generally more perverted, debased, masochistic and sordid than they lead on?

JS: Again, I am not sure whose taste I'm defying.

SS: Well, the taste of the typical airport best-selling mainstream.

JS: You'd be surprised at the genteel souls who let themselves be seen in public with a Jerry Stahl book. While I have no illusions that I'll ever be a bestselling blockbuster kind of guy, you can see far more debased representations of Homo Americanus on Fox News.

SS: Who are some of your favorite writers currently, and who did you read growing up? Was there any particular author that inspired you to write? Any authors you absolutely loathe?

JS: Of late I've been reading new novels by Mary Gaitskill, Eric Bogosian and Nick Tosches – all fantastic – as well as a memoir by a first time writer, Joan Kelly, called The Pleasure's All Mine, which is genius, and a great biography of the much-neglected writer, Donald Goines, by Eddie Allen, called Low Road. Have also just re-read This Way to the Gas Ladies and Gentlemen, by the late Polish writer, Tadeusz Borowski. Nothing darker, nothing funnier, nothing more beautiful. And I re-read Delillo's Libra and Ginsberg's poetry all the time.

I suppose Burroughs, Mailer and West, in the beginning, said things I didn't know you were allowed to say when I was turned on to them as a young moron of 15 in the cultural hotbed of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Can't claim to really loathe any particular authors.

I'm grateful my books get published at all – I wrote six that didn't before Permanent Midnight – and if other writers gets more heat and ink, God bless 'em. I suppose, to those who make such judgments, I'll always be an ex-TV hack. Had I worked as a pimp or toilet cleaner instead of tube-scribbler to pay for my dope, I guess I wouldn't have this stigma. But such is life.

SS: Does it bother you that the LA Times, NY Times and other influential publications have been too prudish to review your books?

JS: Don't spend a whole lot of time thinking about it, though Thomas Mallon did do a nice piece on my books in the New Yorker when I, Fatty dropped.

SS: I know you're not an advocate for drug use despite certain claims that your books inspire it. But seriously, had you not have been a junkie, would your worldview sightlines be as clear today?

JS: I've never actually heard that my books inspire drug use. But maybe you know more than I do. Everybody passes through a few minefields in the course of their lives. I suppose making it to other side does impact one's vision, but it's not the drugs that do it, it's surviving them. One way or the other. I basically don't trust anybody who hasn't been to hell. Which doesn't mean we can't go bowling together.

SS: Your television writing dates back to “Alf” and “Moonlighting” in the '80s. How do you think television affects culture?

JS: Public perception to the contrary, TV writing has been a miniscule part of my life. For the past couple of years I do two episodes of “CSI” a year. What's strange is that I get away with more quote-unquote transgressive weirdness on mainstream primetime network TV than just about anywhere else. As to how it affects culture, that's like asking how your arm affects your Adam's apple.

SS: Is it one of television's side-effects to weed out the novel? Or are these two entertainments non-rivals?

JS: In the year of our Lord 2005, any claims that novels are somehow more noble or elevated than television stand out as a tad arcane. Cheese pervades all genres, and genius bleeds into both television and fiction from time to time.

SS: What are you currently working on?

JS: For a couple of years I've been working and researching a novel about a certain death camp doctor, set after the Holocaust. At the moment I am working on a film about Oscar Levant, with Ben Stiller, and the I, Fatty adaptation with Johnny Depp. Have also been knocking around Perv with Philip Kaufman. There's really nothing cooler to do all day than work with people you love and respect on a movie. Am also developing a pilot called Junkyboy for F/X. But I've been down the road too often to count on anything making it to the screen – or ending up between the covers, for that matter.

SS: If you'll afford me this one last cliché: as a writer, how would you like to be remembered when you die?

JS: Crash my funeral and I'll whisper in your ear.

--------------------
user posted image

No, I don't need help with my bags...I have a bloody manservant! - Charlie Mortdecai
jdforever
Posted: Jul 27 2010, 09:26 AM

Group: Newbie
Member No.: 8,441

I cannot wait for Johnny working on Jerry Stahl's novel!!

Here is an interview that Stahl made to Ben Stiller for Details mag:

To get a fresh perspective we tapped Jerry Stahl, a contributor to the magazine who has not only worked with Stiller in the past but actually been portrayed by him in an adaptation of Stall's book Permanent Midnight. Here's his report:

"When I met Ben for this interview he was standing in his kitchen, stretching his lip to give me a look at the orthodontic mayhem he endured earlier in the day. His dentist, it seems, cut open Ben's lip during a procedure that involved shoving a peg into his gum to stick a tooth on it after the one that used to be there mysteriously fell out.

"I asked if he had been given painkillers, and Ben responded, "You know I can't take them.' He reminded me of an evening years ago when in the name of research for a film about an L. A. dope fiend—that would be me—Ben consumed a slightly heartier than recommended dose of Vicodin and puked all over Vermont Avenue and my boots.

STAHL: What about at home, growing up? Your parents were comedians. Were there a lot of laughs around the house?

BEN STILLER: Their comedy was born of necessity. They were both serious actors but weren't working. They needed money, so they started this act. My dad always wanted to be a stand-up, but my mom didn't. Stiller and Meara was their last shot. If the act didn't work, my dad was going to get out of the business and market his special chicken gai yung.

STAHL: You must have been relieved they stayed in show business instead.

BEN STILLER: I can tell you it was not fun watching them on The Ed Sullivan Show.

STAHL: Why? Did they bomb?

BEN STILLER: No, no! It was stressful. Ed Sullivan was like American Idol. It was the one show everybody watched. Ed had to like you so you could get invited back. My parents were on 30 times. But even when I was really young I was afraid they would screw up. Seeing them perform in nightclubs or watching them on TV at home, there was always a low-grade tension. It's probably why I've never enjoyed live performing. I've never done stand-up. I associate it with tremendous pressure.

STAHL: Do you regret the types of roles you've had?

BEN STILLER: I'm not going to lie. It's worth getting a little beat-down from Mickey Rooney to hear his stories. One day, out of nowhere, he told me that when he was making Captains Courageous at MGM, he drove the first Lincoln Continental ever manufactured right onto the set. Another time he actually told me he gave Walt Disney the name Mickey Mouse. Disney wanted to call the mouse Mortimer. Mickey told him Mickey was better.

STAHL: When you started out, did you fantasize about—dare we say—being as famous as Mickey Rooney?

BEN STILLER: Are you kidding? When I was starting out all I thought about was, How am I going to get work? I auditioned for three or four years before I got a job. Once you start to get work, you just want to figure out a way to keep working.

STAHL: So there was no master plan?

BEN STILLER: I admire actors who have a plan. I wasn't one of them. Looking back, the great part about starting out is, you don't have people assessing who or what you are. Nobody's analyzing your work, because nobody cares.

STAHL: So that wasn't your goal, to be a bankable star?

BEN STILLER: Before that I was happy acting, directing—just doing stuff. Suddenly you have this thing called a track record. It's a trap. You have this awareness that, Wow, that was a success. Now they expect the next one to be a success. But maybe it'll be a onetime thing... I never thought about any of this before. That's the trap: You start to care too much. It's like, now you're in the penthouse, but there's a trapdoor. You start to miss the days when you were starting out, when you were thrilled to get a callback.

STAHL: Is there a movie you made that you really love that didn't come easy?

BEN STILLER:Zoolander. That was a hard one. And when it finally got made, it came out two weeks after September 11.

STAHL: Was there any talk of delaying the release?

BEN STILLER: Obviously, there could not have been a worse time to put out a movie. But at the same time, I couldn't think of any reason not to release it, other than people would be worried it wouldn't make as much money. Zoolander is more gratifying than any of the big-box-office movies I've been in.

STAHL: What makes it more gratifying?

BEN STILLER: What it has become for people. The way it has lasted. Who could have predicted that? That's why you keep pushing. I've been trying to make What Makes Sammy Run? for, I don't know, 10 or 11 years. People were trying to make it for 50 years before me. I'm now too old to play Sammy, the part that made me want to do the movie in the first place. But that's the deal, man. You're always doing this at the same time you're trying to figure out how to do that. If you really believe in a project, if you have that passion, you have to be patient. And meanwhile you have to keep working, keep making movies. That's the nature of the business. It's like acting. There's more to making movies than people see.

STAHL: What is the reality that people don't see about acting?

BEN STILLER: People tend to look at acting and say, "I could do that." I wish everybody could come on a set one time, stand in front of the camera and try it. When suddenly everyone is looking at you, the chemistry changes. It has taken me 10 years of working to get to the point where I feel comfortable. Try being funny or emotional when there's a bunch of union guys sitting around waiting for lunch, a director telling you to do something, an actor across from you who may or may not be giving you anything, a camera staring at you and some guy in a suit in a corner texting, probably about you.

STAHL: What's wrong with the regular trailers?

BEN STILLER: Believe me, they can suck. And you know, given the nature of moviemaking, you spend a lot of time in them. On the other hand I'm not Matthew McConaughey, who has literally lived in an Airstream trailer for the past 10 years or something.

STAHL: What's so special about your trailer?

BEN STILLER: It's not like I did anything fancy. But why not be able to have the place you're spending 12 to 14 hours a day in be comfortable?

STAHL: But what makes the Ben Stiller trailer different from the standard star wagon?

BEN STILLER: It's 500 feet wide and 30 feet tall. It's the largest man-made trailer on the North American continent. It has built-in speakers and a trampoline because, as you know, I'm a tumbler. No, come on-- it's just a regular trailer. Nothing groundbreaking. The big difference is, it doesn't have to be disinfected.

STAHL: Because of things like the trailer, most people assume your life is pretty cushy. What is the biggest fear you've had to overcome?

BEN STILLER: I've been lucky in my life. But the scariest thing I've been through did not involve cameras and directors, I can tell you that. It was when my son, Quin, was born. The doctors told us there were complications. He suffered a trauma because he inhaled amniotic fluid, which has waste in it. So he was in a neonatal intensive-care unit for three days. That was the most fearful time I've ever had. I felt totally out of control. There wasn't anything I could do. It was surreal seeing all those little babies who are there for weeks at a time and the stress it puts on the families. We became friendly with the parents of the baby in the incubator next to Quinn's. This little kid had to have three surgeries, and he was only a few weeks old. I got a letter from his mom about six months ago, saying their son hadn't made it; that was crushing. You go through something like that and you realize there are no guarantees in life. You have to be thankful day to day.

STAHL: How's Quin doing now?

BEN STILLER: He's great. You've never seen a more healthy, fun-loving kid. And here's the irony: He's the funny one in the family.

STAHL: Do you ever think of just packing it in?

BEN STILLER: Sometimes I say to Christine, "Let's just get out of here and buy a farm in Virginia." I think I saw somewhere that somebody—maybe it was Robert Duvall—lives on a farm. I read that and it was like, Oh wow, that's what I've got to do.

STAHL: Is it?

BEN STILLER: [Laughs] I seriously doubt that's going to happen. A farmer? It's probably a hard thing to learn at 42. Now that I'm talking about it, it sounds terrifying. I think I'll stick with what I'm doing for a while.
Karen
Posted: Jul 27 2010, 09:35 AM

Administrator/Owner

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

THanks so much for sharing that with us. There's not been much news about this project lately. I'd love to know when this interview took place. Can you tell us!

We're glad to have you with us here on JDR! welcome.gif

--------------------
user posted image

No, I don't need help with my bags...I have a bloody manservant! - Charlie Mortdecai
herestoyou
Posted: Jul 27 2010, 10:25 AM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 21

Thanks for sharing the article smile.gif Ben--you can always buy an island! tongue.gif

-Donna

--------------------
"It is not the destination so much as the journey" ~Capt. Jack Sparrow
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2013 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com