Create a free forum in seconds.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
HAPPY AUTUMN!!

We've had news that Johnny's project with JP Donleavy, THE GINGER MAN is finally moving forward. And we've also heard that "Pintel" will be returning for POTC5! I can't help but wonder who will be next? MARTY! Marty's back too! arrrrrrrrrrr

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no paparazzi images of his children be posted.

Pages: (51) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Lone Ranger updates, March 23, 2012 - April 22, 2012
nurseanne8
Posted: Mar 30 2010, 05:01 AM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12

Donna: I am concerned about a decent screenplay for DS-it must be a daunting task to develop a story that will appeal to fans and non fans from so many episodes of the television show DS. For some reason I never watched this show on television and I am in the age range of when it was popular and I have to wonder if younger fans have any knowledge of DS and will line up to see this film after the success of the New Moon series?-and to answer my question they will line up because it is a Depp and Burton film. As far as AlW I enjoyed it-it was not my favorite Depp and Burton film but also I could not get into the books and had no fond memories of them as a child nor as an adult. I appreciate sites like JDR where members can state their opinions and I enjoy reading other members thoughts. Anne r smile.gif
amp
Posted: Mar 30 2010, 06:08 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 84

QUOTE (nurseanne8 @ Mar 30 2010, 07:01 AM)
As far as AlW I enjoyed it-it was not my favorite Depp and Burton film but also I could not get into the books and had no fond memories of them as a child nor as an adult.

ditto, Anne.

I'm not worried about Dark Shadows or Lone Ranger.
Dark Shadows because Tim and Johnny were fans and Lone Ranger because Jerry Bruckheimer was a fan.

I think they will both make money because they will be fun to watch and I think they will enjoy repeated visits, as did Alice IW.

--------------------
user posted image
herestoyou
Posted: Mar 30 2010, 10:33 AM

Member No.: 21

I think there is a concern that Tim will take DS in a different direction & there is a HUGE DS fan base of the show.(I attended one of the DS Fan events one year and wow, these people are loyal!) I don't know if they would appreciate deviating too far from the original, but I guess it's a time will tell.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their opinions. smile.gif

-Donna

--------------------
"It is not the destination so much as the journey" ~Capt. Jack Sparrow
wwjdd
Posted: Mar 30 2010, 05:16 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,691

I hear you Donna - and that's why I love it here. We can share our opinions with courtesy and respect.

And I do agree - Johnny is guilty in that particular look too. Like I said, they're like little boys together. wink.gif

I respect everyone's opinions here, and I always learn new ways to think about things.

--------------------
~Becca~ "I can name fingers and point names."

user posted image
Karen
Posted: Mar 30 2010, 08:22 PM

Administrator/Owner

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Agreed! applause.gif

--------------------
user posted image

No, I don't need help with my bags...I have a bloody manservant! - Charlie Mortdecai
Mim!E
Posted: Jan 18 2011, 02:10 PM

Member No.: 2,819

Johnny Depp talks about plans for his 'Lone Ranger' reboot -- EXCLUSIVE
EW - by Clark Collis

Johnny Depp is still planning to star in Disney’s planned big screen version of The Lone Ranger, he tells EW exclusively. “I think it’s going to be good, when we have a chance to put it up on its feet,” says Depp of the project, The actor will play the role of Tonto in the project, which is being produced by Jerry Bruckheimer with original Pirates of the Caribbean director Gore Verbinski attached to helm. “What we’ve got so far screenplay-wise is really great, really funny.”

Depp, who is part Cherokee, feels a special connection to the role of Tonto. “I always felt Native Americans were badly portrayed in Hollywood films over the decades,” he says. “It’s a real opportunity for me to give a salute to them. Tonto was a sidekick in all the Lone Ranger series. [This film] is a very different approach to that partnership. And a funny one I think.”

--------------------
Karen
Posted: Jan 18 2011, 02:48 PM

Administrator/Owner

WOO HOO! Thanks Mim!E for sharing that with us!

--------------------
user posted image

No, I don't need help with my bags...I have a bloody manservant! - Charlie Mortdecai
herestoyou
Posted: Jan 18 2011, 08:49 PM

Thanks Mim!E smile.gif

-Donna

--------------------
herestoyou
Posted: Jan 18 2011, 09:43 PM

Here'e a bit longer article that backs on to what Mim!E posted:

Johnny Depp Talks Up 'Lone Ranger' Movie
Updated: Tuesday, 18 Jan 2011, 8:25 PM EST
Published : Tuesday, 18 Jan 2011, 8:25 PM EST

(NewsCore) - Actor Johnny Depp said the upcoming big-screen version of The Lone Ranger, will be really great and funny, Entertainment Weekly reported Tuesday.

I think its going to be good, when we have a chance to put it up on its feet, Depp told Entertainment Weekly. What weve got so far screenplay-wise is really great, really funny.

Pirates of the Caribbean director Gore Verbinski is set to direct the western, in which Depp will play the Lone Rangers Native American sidekick Tonto. Depps grandfather is Cherokee, and the actor said playing Tonto is an opportunity to give a salute to his heritage.

Depp told Entertainment Tonight in December that he hoped Brad Pitt or George Clooney would take the lead role of the Lone Ranger, which has not yet been cast.

The Lone Ranger began life as a radio serial in the 1930s, and became a television series that ran from 1949 to 1957. Depp said the new film version will show a very different approach to the partnership between the masked hero and Tonto than previously seen.

LINK

-Donna

--------------------
Karen
Posted: Jan 18 2011, 09:45 PM

Administrator/Owner

thumbsup.gif Lots of Lone Ranger info out there today!! Thanks Donna for the update!

--------------------
user posted image

wwjdd
Posted: Jan 18 2011, 10:25 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,691

Well, I'll admit; I'm having a hard time grasping this concept.

I know how important Native American portrayals are to Johnny, so I'm thrilled with that aspect of his take on the Tonto character.

But I will admit I'm a little baffled by the "funny" comments he's made. TLR has always been portrayed as so serious, given the backstory.

However, I trust Johnny's characterizations. And I'm heartened by the reports we have of how instrumental he was in the P4 story development to cater to the fans. That says to me that Disney and Jerry B are listening to his input.

Thank you all for these new postings! snoopydance1.gif

--------------------
~Becca~ "I can name fingers and point names."

user posted image
herestoyou
Posted: Feb 12 2011, 12:00 AM

Here's just a little bit about LRanger from Gore--sounds like Tonto will be the lead in it:

LINK

Exclusive: Gore Verbinski Talks The Lone Ranger and More
Source: ComingSoon.net February 11, 2011

Reteaming with his Pirates of the Caribbean leading man for the surreal western Rango, Gore Verbinski marks his first full foray into CG animation. The director spoke exclusively this morning with ComingSoon.net and, while we'll have the full interview available soon, he offered updates on a few future projects, chiefly another highly anticipated Johnny Depp team-up, The Lone Ranger.

"It's sort of 'Don Quixote' told from Sancho Panza's point of view," said Verbinski of the Justin Haythe script, indicating that Depp's Tonto will actually be the main character, "...But it's coming along really great...[It] wouldn't shoot until next year, probably, because Johnny's doing 'Dark Shadows.'"

-Donna

--------------------
Karen
Posted: Feb 12 2011, 08:19 AM

Administrator/Owner

THanks Donna!! I like the sounds of not filming The Lone Ranger until next year....as his fall appears to be open!!! crossfingers.gif

Here's a link to the ComingSoon article:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=74095

--------------------
user posted image

herestoyou
Posted: Feb 13 2011, 10:46 PM

From the Rango press junket--a bit about LRanger from Johnny:

http://www.etonline.com/movies/107669_Rang...h_Bieber_Fever/

Johnny is also gearing up to collaborate with Gore Verbinski yet again for a brand-new, big-screen take on 'The Lone Ranger,' this time to be done from his sidekick Tonto's point of view.

"I am excited about playing the role of Tonto," says Johnny. "As it was throughout basically all of Hollywood history, any sort of cowboy-and-Indian film -- the cowboys got all the attention and heroic sort of moments, and the Indians weren't really properly dealt with over the years. And especially something as kind of clich as the Lone Ranger and Tonto, to bring Tonto to the forefront, to have him be the clever one; maybe you don't understand him right away, but he's the clever one, he's the brains behind the operation."

-Donna

--------------------
herestoyou
Posted: Feb 14 2011, 07:03 PM

Not a whole lot of info here, but it's sounding like LRange will be next up after DShadows? Seems like that's rather optimistic based on what Gore has to say:

http://www.movieweb.com/news/exclusive-gor...alk-lone-ranger

EXCLUSIVE: Gore Verbinski and Johnny Depp Talk Lone Ranger

Johnny Depp and Gore Verbinski discuss their adaptation of the classic Western radio and TV series"Hi-yo Silver! Away!" Those are the immortal words of the classic Western hero that first rode to justice on the radio and eventually on television in the '1940s and early '50s. Now the famous character is about to ride on to the big screen thanks to Rango director Gore Verbinski and his star, actor Johnny Depp. Depp is scheduled to play the Lone Ranger's faithful sidekick Tonto in the film, while Verbinski is set to direct. Justin Haythe (The Clearing) is penning the script and Jerry Bruckheimer (Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest) will produce the film.

Recently we had a chance to catch up with Gore Verbinski, and Johnny Depp while they were out promoting their new film Rango, which opens in theaters on March 4th. We took the opportunity to ask both the director, and the actor about the highly anticipated new project. We began by asking Verbinski if he had cast anyone as the Lone Ranger yet.

"I can't talk about casting other than Johnny Depp is playing Tonto."

We followed up by asking the director what the current status of the project is right now.

"We're working on the screenplay and its similar in terms of trying to design it around Tonto now the way we designed Pirates around Jack or Rango around Rango. I see that film and again it's in an early stage, as Don Quixote from Sancho Panza's point of view. You've all heard the story of the Lone Ranger but now you can hear it from Tonto's perspective."

We finished by asking Verbinski when he thinks the film will begin shooting.

"I don't know? It's looking more and more like next year because Johnny is doing Dark Shadows but that movie is going to take a tremendous amount of prep."

We also had an opportunity to speak with Johnny Depp who confirmed that he would begin working on Lone Ranger once he completes work on Tim Burton's Dark Shadows. We finished by asking the actor if he was excited to be playing Tonto in the upcoming film.

"Oh, yeah absolutely."

-Donna

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Pages: (51) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last »

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright 2004-2014 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com