Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
We've seen the first teaser trailer for MORTDECAI! How fun!!
THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS is still filming in the UK and it looks like Johnny's there filming!
TUSK has opened here in the US.

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no paparazzi images of his children be posted.

AIW #3 Johnny is the Mad Hatter
Karen
Posted: Sep 10 2009, 06:57 AM

Administrator/Owner

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Depp IS the Mad Hatter. What expectations does that bring to you?

--------------------
user posted image

No, I don't need help with my bags...I have a bloody manservant! - Charlie Mortdecai
wwjdd
Posted: Sep 10 2009, 02:07 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,691

Well, I'm hoping, based on his acting skills, that The Mad Hatter will be a more fully-fleshed-out character than he came across (to me, anyway) in the books.

Other than that, I'm just not really sure what to expect. I don't have a handle yet on just how mad this Hatter is. wink.gif

--------------------
~Becca~ "I can name fingers and point names."

user posted image
Karen
Posted: Sep 10 2009, 05:42 PM

Administrator/Owner

I'm not sure if I want to see an over the top MH or if I'd rather see one closer to the book. unsure.gif I pretty much guess that I expect the unexpected...LOL..but don't want scary or too much....

--------------------
user posted image

No, I don't need help with my bags...I have a bloody manservant! - Charlie Mortdecai
tdepp07
Posted: Sep 10 2009, 10:51 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,107

does anyone know yet when the premiere is? its probably a week or two before the actual day it comes out in theaters. just wondering the actual day of the premiere if anyone knows it yet...

--------------------
11. 18. 09- Tim Burton's Book Signing. he's definitely a cool dude.
carpediem
Posted: Sep 10 2009, 11:31 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

I wonder if Johnny's Mad Hatter will be disturbing the way that I found his characterization of Hunter S. Thompson was in "Fear and Loathing..." It's intense.

Since this is probably oriented at least somewhat to include an audience of children, perhaps it will be less twisted and more playful.

Regardless, I can't wait to see how he chooses to portray the character. I'm sure I will find it to be fun and interesting.

-- carpediem

--------------------
A step too far...
Karen
Posted: Sep 11 2009, 06:52 AM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (tdepp07 @ Sep 10 2009, 11:51 PM)
does anyone know yet when the premiere is? its probably a week or two before the actual day it comes out in theaters. just wondering the actual day of the premiere if anyone knows it yet...

No one knows anything about the premiere or premieres. When we know anything at all, it will be in the "Today's News" forum, and not here in the book discussion. wink.gif So you can keep a sharp eye up there.

--------------------
user posted image

Karen
Posted: Sep 11 2009, 06:54 AM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (carpediem @ Sep 11 2009, 12:31 AM)
I wonder if Johnny's Mad Hatter will be disturbing the way that I found his characterization of Hunter S. Thompson was in "Fear and Loathing..." It's intense.

Since this is probably oriented at least somewhat to include an audience of children, perhaps it will be less twisted and more playful.

Regardless, I can't wait to see how he chooses to portray the character. I'm sure I will find it to be fun and interesting.

-- carpediem

I wonder the same thing myself. I don't really want disturbing...I'd rather have humor, mischief and "wonder." laugh.gif

--------------------
user posted image

herestoyou
Posted: Sep 11 2009, 08:09 PM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 21

I think Johnny's MH may come across as his Wonka did in CATCF(Of course I could be wrong). I agree, something a little scary but with some interesting undercurrents is what I hope to see. I'm sure Johnny will put his own stamp on the character & along with that comes the criticism, sooooooo---that's what I expect from a Johnny/Tim collaboration-LOL

-Donna

--------------------
"It is not the destination so much as the journey" ~Capt. Jack Sparrow
wwjdd
Posted: Sep 13 2009, 10:56 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,691

Well, I kind of expect the MH to be like most of characters in AIW/TtLG: impossible for a girl of Alice's age to understand. In the case of the MH I expect that to be worse because his profession has caused him to be truly mad, and not just an adult to her child.

But I'm not sure he'll be scary to adults. Children...maybe so. This character handled chemicals which literally drove him insane. But what kind of insane?

That's where I think Johnny's acting prowess will come into play.

We know he's interested in roles his kiddies can appreciate, so I don't see him going too far into the frightening range with the MH.

I think he'll give us a whimsical, puzzling, eccentric MH. With a bit of an edge. (It is Johnny, after all).

I keep thinking of Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka - he said in an interview that he deliberately constructed Wonka walking out of the chocolate factory using his cane, with a heavy limp, and then letting the cane stick in a crack and rolling forward in a somersault and perfectly coming to his feet to show that this was a character who couldn't entirely be trusted.

I kind of see Johnny going in that direction with his Mad Hatter...you want to like him, but you can never be too sure about him.

--------------------
~Becca~ "I can name fingers and point names."

user posted image
amp
Posted: Sep 14 2009, 07:32 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 84

I can't wait to be surprised and disturbed by Johnny's Mad Hatter. Seeing the first pics did just that, and that's just the appetizer.

--------------------
user posted image
Karen
Posted: Sep 14 2009, 10:40 AM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (amp @ Sep 14 2009, 08:32 AM)
I can't wait to be surprised and disturbed by Johnny's Mad Hatter. Seeing the first pics did just that, and that's just the appetizer.

Yup...that about does it! "Surprised and disturbed!" But Burton says it will be a film for all ages. claphands.gif

--------------------
user posted image

herestoyou
Posted: Sep 14 2009, 08:28 PM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 21

QUOTE (Karen @ Sep 14 2009, 09:40 AM)
QUOTE (amp @ Sep 14 2009, 08:32 AM)

Yup...that about does it! "Surprised and disturbed!" But Burton says it will be a film for all ages. claphands.gif

I think it wll be a higjly anticipated film and especially to see what Johnny does with the MH. I remember how shocked I was when the WW pics first came out(oh my that hair!) I guess I had the same reaction when I saw his as the MH(that hair!)

-Donna

--------------------
"It is not the destination so much as the journey" ~Capt. Jack Sparrow
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2013 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com