Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
We've seen the first teaser trailer for MORTDECAI! How fun!!
THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS is still filming in the UK and it looks like Johnny's there filming!
TUSK has opened here in the US.

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no paparazzi images of his children be posted.

BOB Discussion Question #5, Tim Tim Everywhere
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 16 2007, 09:29 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

Originally Posted by Karen
on 6/24/05 at 04:53 AM

After meeting Burton, Johnny likened him to the character of Edward Scissorhands. Burton compares himself to Ichabod Crane from SLEEPY HOLLOW, and actually, most all of his characters are said by Burton to be a part of himself. Sleepy Hollow producer Scott Ruden is quoted as saying "Basically Johnny Depp is playing Tim Burton in all of his movies."
Keeping in mind the theory that there are aspects of Burton in all of his movies, while speaking about Jack Skellington in THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS Burton says "It's a very primal thing to me, that kind of searching for something and not even knowing what it is, just being passionate about it. There are just aspects to the character of Jack (Skellington) that I like and identify with."
Knowing that we all watch the same movie through different eyes and with different backgrounds, what aspects Jack Skellington do you think Burton might like and identify with?

--------------------
I'm Captain Jack Sparrow, savvy
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 16 2007, 09:30 PM

MerryK

Well.. this is a bit of a tough one for me.. because I never saw THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS. My kids have all seen it a couple of times.. but it was just one that I never caught.. just tiny bits and pieces.
But from what I read in the book.... Tim really liked the holidays.. especially Halloween. That he liked the fact you could where a mask.. and act out. That actually wearing the mask was much more to actually being who yourself was instead of when you arent wearing one.. or something like that.

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 16 2007, 09:31 PM

Ellen

I was thinking more along the lines of JS always trying to make sure that all the oddballs in town were happy. I think he was trying to make them all seem equal, none odder than any of the others. I'm not sure if that makes sense because it's 11:45 p.m. and I haven't seen this time of night for about a year. I know what's in my head, I'm just not sure if it's getting to my fingers properly to type it. Good night y'all.

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 16 2007, 09:34 PM

JP

Knowing that we all watch the same movie through different eyes and with different backgrounds, what  aspects Jack Skellington do you think Burton might like and identify with?

I think that Tim liked the whole aspect of wanting to experience something different. Jack, not quite understanding what it is he needs to do, and yet trying with all his heart to accomplish it in the only way he knows how. It shows the honesty and fallibility that we all possess.

Christmas and Halloween, the two best holidays (in my opinion), combined to allow people to be kinder to others than at any other time of the year, and to allow people to be someone they are not without fear of ridicule. Kind of the best of both worlds. Something that Tim, and the rest of us, could wish for.

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 16 2007, 09:34 PM

deppraved

I'm going to answer this from a more personal standpoint, and hopefully hit on a par with Burton.
The thing that strikes me about the character of Jack in TNBC, is discovering something that to you is new and wonderful (like JD) and wanting to share it with the whole world, but no one else really gets it, or shares your enthusiasm, and it can dampen your spirit a bit. The result can be, feeling alone and alientated, and questioning your ideals. It's nice when you can get past needing other's acceptance, and just be you.

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2013 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com