Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
Johnny has finished his filming his scenes for BLACK MASS, however other filming continues through this week in the Boston area.

Wonder where he'll pop up next?

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no identifying images of his children be posted here.

TRD #4 Chenault
Karen
Posted: May 20 2009, 05:38 PM

Administrator/Owner

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Here's a snap of Amber Heard as Chenault on set...

user posted image

Chenault is the only female character in the book and she's not a well defined personality.

We see bits and pieces of her, no feeling or real interaction with any of the men, except in a sexual way. Wonder why? What was HST's purpose for keeping her a blank canvas? Did you find anything likable or redeeming about her character as she was written? What one thing would you have liked to have known about her? Did you want to like her?

--------------------
Now, bring me that horizon...
amp
Posted: May 20 2009, 09:13 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 84

Unfortunately, I saw my young and very foolish self in Chenault..

She was looking for an escape from her banal existence in CT. I assume she comes from money, and she is rebelling big time. No one knows her in PR.
She can 're-invent' herself as the penultimate party girl.
Booze = no inhibitions.

She comes to her senses at the end of the book. Kemp does rescue her, in a way, by accepting her as is, with no real expectations.
I understood her all too well. No sympathy, though. Some of us need to explore the 'risky business' to grow up.

--------------------
user posted image
herestoyou
Posted: May 20 2009, 10:14 PM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 21

Yes, i think what's been said is true. I viewed Chenault as a bored, self-centered gal looking for excitement and living on the edge. I think she was a "user" of other people and as was stated, after her ordeal, finally comes to her senses after her "fling".

-Donna

--------------------
"It is not the destination so much as the journey" ~Capt. Jack Sparrow
Depputante
Posted: May 20 2009, 11:11 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 277

continued from #2 question:
"A woman nonetheless! Is it possible, could she fit in my slice of life? Or is she some sort of possible intrisically refined alterego of someone I might intricately know, such as myself."
(In my best Hunteresque FALILV ...Kemp voice.)

So I think she's his alterego. He misses the sex, the being able to go without that job, ....everything he wishes he was. Geeky male reporter who needs to work, vs. freewheeling, non working sexy female.

Now there's the dichotomy....of opposites, instead of being in the general story line, it seems to me, to be in the relationship of the charachters, much more clearly. No numbness for me going on here.

To me she emulates freedom, and freedom of a blank canvas. Vs. the tied down yet wanting to get away Kemp.

What do I want to know about her?
I want to know if she really loves someone.
I want to know what drives her, does she have a passion about something in life.
nurseanne8
Posted: May 21 2009, 03:57 AM

Member No.: 12

Good points everyone-I personally think that Kemp was a bit angry at the female sex since his divorce and was not willing to seek a meaningful emotional relationship; women were useful for sex and for companionship when his "gang" of men were not available. I agree with everyone that Chenualt was having a fling before returning home and resuming the life which was expceted of her. As far as HST I feel like he viewed the female species as sex objects and expected them to cater to his needs-the strongest relationships in HST's life seemed o have been his son and his "gang" of male followers. smile.gif Anne r
Karen
Posted: May 21 2009, 07:09 AM

Administrator/Owner

Did anyone else think that the "we are soul-mates" came out of nowhere? This was a guy that sat there and did nothing when she was being abused... on more than one occasion. angry.gif

--------------------
Dreamcatcher
Posted: May 21 2009, 07:29 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,878

Yeah, i got a bit confused by the "we are soul-mates" bit.

~Louise

--------------------
user posted image
herestoyou
Posted: May 21 2009, 08:10 PM

Member No.: 21

Maybe HST usng the "we are soul mates" phrase was a way of saying "we're alike" more than what we usually think of a soul mate? Both of them were searching for something and wanted the "experience" so go for it. But then, Kemp seems upset when he gets home one day and she's gone......interesting.

-Donna

--------------------
"It is not the destination so much as the journey" ~Capt. Jack Sparrow
JohnnyAngel
Posted: May 24 2009, 08:13 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,140

I thought the notion of soulmates was not of a loving or romantic nature (as in he had found the love of his life) but more like a kindred spirit who was looking for the same kind of escape he was. Perhaps he found comfort in someone who seemed to not be driven to do more than wile away the hours enveloped in an alcoholic stupor. Maybe he figured he wasn't such a lost soul if someone as outwardly beautiful as Chenault could inhabit the same kind of emptiness he felt - thus making his existence less "ugly".

--------------------
user posted image
Karen
Posted: May 27 2009, 05:44 PM

Administrator/Owner

Good points JohnnyAngel! These characters stump me, in so many ways as they don't seem to have motivation. unsure.gif

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2013 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com