InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
BLACK MASS is filming now in the Boston area. We're getting lots of location photos so be sure to check in often! Who knows what we'll see today!

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no identifying images of his children be posted here.

LT Discussion pt #12 Was this what you expected?
Karen
Posted: Apr 19 2009, 07:29 AM

Administrator/Owner

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

In "Loser's Town" D Depp showed a very different, dark, ugly side of show business. We saw lots of things from the other side of the movie theater seats, camera lenses and autograph lines.

Let's discuss what you thought about this book, what you expected to read compared with the finished product. The great, the interesting, the bad and everything in between.

wink.gif

--------------------
Now, bring me that horizon...
amp
Posted: Apr 19 2009, 08:37 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 84

I tried very hard not to have expectations. I was quite entralled and pleased overall, but one thing didn't materialize--I really expected the book to be more like a mystery novel. But maybe it was, Ijust haven't read enough mystery novels. laugh.gif

--------------------
user posted image
herestoyou
Posted: Apr 19 2009, 10:48 AM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 21

This was not at all what I expected---after reading that excerpt on the internet, I wasn't expecting too much. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't what I expected. I think the strength of the book is giving people the "inside" view of how the movie industry really works. I knew some of the things that he mentioned about the Hollywood business, but I think it's great that someone put it in print version. I still think some of the characters were unnecessary, plus the plot hole that Karen mentioned---using film and not having the "henchmen" think of using cell or digital photos as well. I thought it was going to be more of a mystery, too, Arnelle. I guess I would categorize it as a "thriller"---but I enjoy more of the Bourne Identity type of spy novels.

Having said all that--it was an easy read, and I loved hearing about all the places in Cali that I've visited. I hope in his sequel that he tightens up the plot line a bit more than in this one.

-Donna

This post has been edited by herestoyou on Apr 19 2009, 11:14 AM

--------------------
"It is not the destination so much as the journey" ~Capt. Jack Sparrow
Karen
Posted: Apr 19 2009, 10:52 AM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (amp @ Apr 19 2009, 09:37 AM)
I tried very hard not to have expectations. I was quite entralled and pleased overall, but one thing didn't materialize--I really expected the book to be more like a mystery novel. But maybe it was, Ijust haven't read enough mystery novels. laugh.gif

Good point about it being hard NOT to have expectations, especially when we know "too much" about the author. wink.gif I expected more of a mystery too and I read a TON of mystery novels. lol

--------------------
Karen
Posted: Apr 19 2009, 11:01 AM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (herestoyou @ Apr 19 2009, 11:48 AM)
This was not at all what I expected---after reading that excerpt on the internet, I wasn't expecting too much. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't what I expected. I think the strength of the book is giving people the "inside" view of how the movie industry really works. I knew some of the things that he mentioned about the Hollywood business, but I think it's great that someone put it in print version. I still think some of the characters were unnecessary, plus the plot whole that Karen mentioned---using film and not having the "henchmen" think of using cell or digital photos as well. I thought it was going to be more of a mystery, too, Arnelle. I guess I would categorize it as a "thriller"---but I enjoy more of the Bourne Identity type of spy novels.

Having said all that--it was an easy read, and I loved hearing about all the places in Cali that I've visited. I hope in his sequel that he tightens up the plot line a bit more than in this one.

-Donna

LOL Great way to put that Donna, that you were pleasantly surprised at what you read.

I have to be honest, that while I enjoyed the behind the scenes parts of the story, that I thought there were too many characters that were pretty much thrown away, not developed or left hanging. And I've already talked about a major issue that I have with the plot in general. That being said? I get the gut feeling that perhaps this book was rushed to print? And that it COULD have a been a really GREAT read with a better or more brutal editor to remove the non essential things, tighten up the loose ends with character and plot and then it would have been FABULOUS! I think Mr. Depp has a gift of story telling, so I hope the next in the series will be tighter, stronger and just as sharing with insider bits!! smile.gif woohoocheer.gif

--------------------
herestoyou
Posted: Apr 19 2009, 11:16 AM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 21

I agree Karen---I really had mixed feelings about the book as a whole. I saw glimmers of a great read, and I loved a lot of the description DDepp used, but I just wasn't thrilled with the overall plot. I'm glad a sequel is in the works as I hope to read a "tighter" novel the next time around.

-Donna

--------------------
"It is not the destination so much as the journey" ~Capt. Jack Sparrow
Rose Sparrow
Posted: Apr 19 2009, 03:14 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 63

I didn't really have any expectations although I did think it would be more mystery than thriller.
I loved the dialogue and the characters, and the plot twists were okay, maybe predictable, but yeah everyone is right about the plot holes. But all in all, it was a fun and easy read!

Here's something that went through my mind though after reading the book that I didn't expect. All the Johnny related tidbits.
In my opinion, Daniel knows that that attention getting last name is something he has to deal with. Claims that no matter what, he will never reach the status of his brother. But he and Johnny have a great relationship and are supportive of each other so he's okay with that. So what was interesting to me was that he didn't write a novel as far away from Hollywood as he could so as not to be linked to Johnny. To us, of course, we were thrilled with the little tidbits, and maybe no matter what he chooses to write about, we Johnny fans will somehow find a link! laugh.gif
But then again, when you know and see things first hand, inside looking out, it gives you an edge. He was spot on about many so things!

I'll definitely be reading the sequels because I enjoyed his style of writing and hope we get see some familiar faces brought back.
And I do hope his next book is promoted a little more.

--------------------
user posted image
nemosfriend
Posted: Apr 19 2009, 09:40 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,134

I also didn't have big expectations due to the pre-release reviews, etc. In fact, I canceled my Amazon order and reserved it from the library. But, of course, being a rather helpless JD fan, how could I not own his brother's first book? blink.gif So back to Amazon. Anyways, I found myself enjoying the read enough and chuckled at the references to JD and was shocked at how dark it turned. I'll be looking forward to the next installment.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2013 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com