InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!

We've seen the first teaser trailer for MORTDECAI! How fun!!

THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS has begun filming in the UK, not sure if Johnny's on location yet...

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no paparazzi images of his children be posted.

Ed Wood Discussion Question #14
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 10:28 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

Originally Posted by Karen
on 1/23/05 at 05:53 AM

One last thought here about Ed Wood. If you were recommending this movie to someone who's never seen it and never heard of Edward D. Wood, Jr. What would you say?

--------------------
I'm Captain Jack Sparrow, savvy
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 10:31 PM

MerryK

That did come about for me a few months back. They were doing a Tim Burton movie series at the artsy theater downtown. Ed Wood was one being featured for the Monday evening showing. My daughter Allison didnt want to go.. and I didnt want to venture downtown at night alone in the dark, especially with having to park in a parking garage. I had mentioned it to a friend/co-worker. She had never heard of it. Basically I told her that Tim was the director and that the film was done in B&W because it's depicting the era of that time when Ed Wood was making his movies and that he became known as the worst director of all time. Mentioned of course Johnny Depp and the others that were in it.. the names she would recognize. Described the flying saucer bit.. and that probably .. without a doubt Ed Woods movies were shown at one time or another at our other downtown theaters "midnight movies" that were always held when she & I were in high school.
She said it sounded like fun.. that she liked that sort of thing.. I knew she would. But unfortunately she got sick.. she really was .. was off both of her jobs for like 4 days.
I didnt go.. too chicken to go in the dark.. safety first.

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 10:34 PM

Karen

I think ED WOOD could be the perfect SUMMER movie for that theater!! It's light so long into the evening!

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 10:34 PM

MerryK

Oh.. summer would be so much nicer.. and had it been .. I'd have been there is a flash.. even by myself. I've never had the opportunity of seeing Ed on the big screen.
If .. no I shouldnt say 'if" .. but when The Libertine makes it rounds.. I could see it playing at this theater...

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 10:35 PM

Ellen

Mary Kay, if you get the LIBERTINE in Dayton and I don't in Sandusky, you may be having an unexpected house guest!! I'll bring a sleeping bag and my own breakfast!! LOL

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 10:36 PM

CaptainAlfredScissorhands

i have introduced many people to ed wood, as it is such an underrated and under acknowledged film. any person i talk to, instantly is told about ed wood, whether they like it or not. the response i get from people who have finally seen the film vary from thanks to disgust. some when they finally see it love it, but others can't get over some of the topics it covers, like transvestitism.
i spread my love of ed wood all over the place. for Halloween, i went as ed wood in glen or Glenda. no one had a clue who i was in the beginning, but it did spark talk of the film, and got a few to rent it. when they didn't release the DVD, i passed out flyers at school and other functions telling people to contact Buena vista and show your support for this DVD. that sparked more interest as well. i've written several school papers on various aspects of ed wood's life, work, and this film. my English teacher last year finally saw it, and all of a sudden realized that i didn't just make this guy up, and all the stuff i was writing about was true.
ed wood is one of the things that really sparks interest in me, and makes my life that much more amusing. so i have made it a mission of sorts, to share it with the world.
as for what i tell people when recomending it, i tell them it is the story of a man that did what he wanted to in life, even if no one else agreed with him.

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2013 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com