InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
We've seen the first teaser trailer for MORTDECAI! How fun!!
THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS is still filming in the UK and it looks like Johnny's there filming!
TUSK has opened here in the US.

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no paparazzi images of his children be posted.

ES Discussion Question #7, All good things come to an end
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 03:19 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

Originally Posted by Karen
on 12/11/04 at 06:44 AM

And the final official question is one I meant to post earlier this week and it got shuffled out of order, so here it goes:

Did you like Winona as Kim? Do you think the fact that they were "a couple" off screen added to their on screen presence?

Is there someone else you might have cast in the role?

--------------------
I'm Captain Jack Sparrow, savvy
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 03:21 PM

MadScntst

You know, I loved her way back when I first saw the movie. I was a fan of Beetlejuice and whatever other movies she had been in, and I looked forward to seeing her as much as Johnny. And they seemed really beautiful and real together. Now, I admit that I don't think of her in the role in quite the same way. And I don't know if it's just her rocky history, or that I don't quite buy her as a cheerleader type, or that I don't think her hair color looks natural But it's not enough to bother me or detract from the film. I couldn't think of another single person for the role. Hmmm...

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 03:22 PM

deppmania2003

I can! Me.....

But seriously I think she fits well, only the hair is somehow not flattering her. But I know that was precisely what Tim wanted to achieve.

The fact that they where a couple has nothing to do with it I think. They are both wonderful actors and I believe they could have done it the same way if they where not.

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 03:23 PM

jstoll

I agree that Johnny and Winona are such good actors that their off-screen relationship didn't affect either performance. I loved the tenderness of their performance at the time and still do. Edward Scissorhands is still one of my favorite fantasy tales.

I believe I read/heard that Winona has naturally light hair and had dyed it dark.

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 03:23 PM

Karen

I heard/read that too Jane. I think I remember Tim speaking about her blonde wig in the commentary.

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 03:24 PM

BarbToo

Well, when I first saw it, I didn't know that they were a couple. I liked the choice of Winona as Kim. Years later, when I got more involved in learning about the two of them invividually, I questioned the choice and didn't quite like her.

Now, I try to step back and look at the film objectively and see that she probably was the right choice since she felt so comfortable to me the first time I watched the movie. I'd say that my first impression should win out on this one.

I think Kim's hair was probably right, too, since it fit in with the surreal aspect of the rest of the scenes....the house colors, the costumes, the hairstyles Edward designed. If it had been completely "normal", it wouldn't have stood out and she would have been the normal "girl next door" and not the one that would have been attracted to Edward as easily. She needed to be different in some sort of way and I believe that this might have been it.

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 03:25 PM

JP

When watching the film for the first time, many years ago, I really didn't pay any attention to "who was who". It all felt right. The dark, mysterious Edward, created with love but not complete, and the light, open Kim, also created with love but not complete. The juxtapositioning of those light and dark qualities gave me a feeling that these two were meant to share something very special; compliment each other.

I honestly am unable to think of another actress that I would like to see in that role. I enjoy Wynona, especially in Beetlejuice, and I feel that their personal relationship did make the film relationship even more poignant. They had to "pretend" their relationship was doomed, while in reality, they were apparently happy and content. Kind of like wondering what life would be if one was without the other.

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 03:26 PM

Jeppody

To be honest, I saw this film on video for the first time some years ago purely by chance. The video shop had put the wrong film in the box!!! I watched because there was nothing else worth watching on the television, and was immediately captivated. I didn't know who Johnny or Winona were (never heard of them!!) and I didn't care. The film dragged me in, I loved it. For that reason I wouldn't choose anybody else as Kim. She fitted the part just fine the first time I saw it, and I think thats important.

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 03:27 PM

MerryK

I had no problems with Winona playing Kim. I cant say I've ever sat and had that thought of them being a couple running through my head as I watched it. I honestly cant think of anybody else I would have preferred to play the part of Kim. Winona is a good actress and now I've got an inkling to watch Little Women again.. it's been a while since I've pulled that one out to watch. The fact they were a couple already at the time I think did add something to the hug scene.

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 03:27 PM

anono

When you enjoy a film it's hard to see anyone else in that role. When I found out Shirley Temple was up for the part of Dorothy in the Wizzard of Oz I just couldn't imagine anyone being a better Dorothy than Judy Garland. I think Winona played her part very well. I just wonder if her choice helped or hurt her career. Wasn't she supposed to do a Godfather movie?

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register for Free

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2013 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com