InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!

We've seen the first teaser trailer for MORTDECAI! How fun!!

THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS has begun filming in the UK, not sure if Johnny's on location yet...

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no paparazzi images of his children be posted.

GB# 7 Glass books and dream eaters
Karen
Posted: Jan 10 2009, 09:15 AM

Administrator/Owner

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

To over simplfy, it's about a plot to control the world. wink.gif

But Dahlquist has spun a fantasy world based on fantasy inventions, including glass women and glass cards that hold experiences.

What did you think of the plot and the story telling?

--------------------
user posted image

No, I don't need help with my bags...I have a bloody manservant! - Charlie Mortdecai
Artemisa
Posted: Jan 10 2009, 10:32 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,898

I'm just over halfway with the book now..I'm enjoying it, though am beginning to find some of the scenes/events a little repetitive. I'm not very good at following complicated plots and I confess I have got lost now and then and I've had problems remembering some of the characters!

The best part of the story for me was when Chang, Temple and Svenson came together. That way you had the lively interaction between the characters and an element of interest in trying to guess whether Miss Temple was attracted to one or both of the men. I have to say I find elements of the story quite chilling and sometimes I don't always want to read it in bed! The descriptions of "process" both intrigue and disturb me, some of them are rather stomach churning for my taste.

Generally I'm finding the story quite a page-turner, I think it's highly imaginative and Dahlquist is a confident writer. Some of his descriptive passages are superb - Stropping Station/Miss Temple's first train journey/her first visit to Harshmort for example.

I think I will want to read The Dark Volume but will wait awhile after finishing GB. It's not the easiest read in the world - I find I really have to concentrate on it to keep up with the plot.

--------------------
"Love, the most generous passion of the mind...."
John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester
(1647 - 1680)
herestoyou
Posted: Jan 10 2009, 12:13 PM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 21

I like descriptive novels, but I felt this one was just too wordy in some parts. Once I got into it, I found myself skimming some parts and still had the idea of what was occurring. It was onc of the most "different" kinds of books I've read that's for sure! I also felt that some parts were hard to read due to the images I was getting in my head i.e. the process parts. I don't mind language but I'm not a big blood/guts fan- I always get these images while reading, so some from this book were a little uncomfortable-------but I still read them-lol!

Having said that, I am interested in the sequel just to see what Dahlquist does with these characters. Will we get more background on the 3 Musketeers? Will the story continue from where it left off, or will a whole new plot begin?

I'm not sure how this book would transfer to the big screen, but I won't comment on that here if that question may be coming up wink.gif

-Donna

--------------------
"It is not the destination so much as the journey" ~Capt. Jack Sparrow
nemosfriend
Posted: Jan 10 2009, 01:39 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,134

I agree with a lot of what has been said. I think he is a very inventive writer...I'm just amazed by writers! How can they write so much?? If he wanted to create a creepy and disturbing vision of this made up world...he certainly accomplished that. It's erotically disturbing, I think. But it was obviously more than all that with the character development going on. I'm not sure I will read the sequels... I prefer books with less violence in them. So to sum up, I'm impressed with his talent...not so much with the contect, if that makes sense wacko.gif
Depputante
Posted: Jan 10 2009, 02:05 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 277

I'm also a little over half way through the book because I took a month off.

This book contains alot of 'thoughts'. In that regard it's interesting, as each charachter is holding their own ideas. I am enjoying reading it.

However, I keep waiting for more interaction. Perhaps I'm a creature of habit, and ame used to more interaction in books. Not sure if that's good or bad, but anyways, I'm getting the feeling that more interaction means faster reading for me.

It's difficult to get through each chapter, for I get reading slower through each charachter's thoughts. Savvy?
Karen
Posted: Jan 10 2009, 03:56 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (Artemisa @ Jan 10 2009, 10:32 AM)
I'm just over halfway with the book now..I'm enjoying it, though am beginning to find some of the scenes/events a little repetitive. I'm not very good at following complicated plots and I confess I have got lost now and then and I've had problems remembering some of the characters!

The best part of the story for me was when Chang, Temple and Svenson came together. That way you had the lively interaction between the characters and an element of interest in trying to guess whether Miss Temple was attracted to one or both of the men. I have to say I find elements of the story quite chilling and sometimes I don't always want to read it in bed! The descriptions of "process" both intrigue and disturb me, some of them are rather stomach churning for my taste.

Generally I'm finding the story quite a page-turner, I think it's highly imaginative and Dahlquist is a confident writer. Some of his descriptive passages are superb - Stropping Station/Miss Temple's first train journey/her first visit to Harshmort for example.

I think I will want to read The Dark Volume but will wait awhile after finishing GB. It's not the easiest read in the world - I find I really have to concentrate on it to keep up with the plot.

I had the same issue about concentrating on the words. I think for me, there was so much there that needed to be absorbed that it really took me a while to read. I have the sequel and have waited to read it until this discussion has finished so I wouldn 't be tempted to bring anything from the sequel into this discussion.

Mr. Dahlquist has said that the sequel takes place soon after GB ends.

--------------------
user posted image

No, I don't need help with my bags...I have a bloody manservant! - Charlie Mortdecai
amp
Posted: Jan 10 2009, 03:57 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 84

I agree with Donna about the wordiness. There were times I had to fight my way through the pages, not due to dullness but due to how hard it can be to picture all that action taking place. I think it will lend itself so well to the visual medium of movies. Also it was a challenge during the chapters where the 3 were separated, but it was cool to go over what was happening to each one during the same time period.

If this ever gets made into a movie (I would imagine they might combine. condense the 3 novels together) it will be a very exciting action/mystery/retro/sci-fi (steampunk!) movie. Lots of work for the CG and FX magic makers to do!
While I was reading about the blue glass women I thought it reminded me of something else I read or saw, but now I can''t remember what it was!

--------------------
user posted image
Karen
Posted: Jan 10 2009, 03:58 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (herestoyou @ Jan 10 2009, 12:13 PM)
I like descriptive novels, but I felt this one was just too wordy in some parts. Once I got into it, I found myself skimming some parts and still had the idea of what was occurring. It was onc of the most "different" kinds of books I've read that's for sure! I also felt that some parts were hard to read due to the images I was getting in my head i.e. the process parts. I don't mind language but I'm not a big blood/guts fan- I always get these images while reading, so some from this book were a little uncomfortable-------but I still read them-lol!

Having said that, I am interested in the sequel just to see what Dahlquist does with these characters. Will we get more background on the 3 Musketeers? Will the story continue from where it left off, or will a whole new plot begin?

I'm not sure how this book would transfer to the big screen, but I won't comment on that here if that question may be coming up wink.gif

-Donna

I skimmed a bit too Donna and then found myself going back and re-reading. LOL

And of course you know we'll get into the possible movie. wink.gif

--------------------
user posted image

Karen
Posted: Jan 10 2009, 04:01 PM

Administrator/Owner

I said in my interview with Mr. Dahlquist that I saw many scenes playing out in my mind as if they were a play.

Interesting thoughts about combining the three books into one for the film.

Lots of material for ideas!!

--------------------
user posted image

Rose Sparrow
Posted: Jan 12 2009, 11:49 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 63

Different from anything I've read before.
I just love a suspense and romance story although I have to admit that I too skimmed through some of it. Too much detail at times.
As a whole though, I really thought that the characters and storyline were fascinating!

--------------------
user posted image
sandsitive
Posted: Jan 12 2009, 12:19 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 115

I'm running a little behind here tongue.gif First time in discussion and thought it was over on Friday...what was I thinking?!

I had trouble at first with the way it was separated per character but found later that this actually helps the time line of the beginning. Or it did for me. At first you 'see' everything through Miss Temples viewpoint. Then, when you start reading how Cardinal Chang came to be on the train to Harshmort, you get more insight into Miss Temple from Chang's point of view. Does that make sense to anyone?

Like some of you, I too thought it was a bit wordy but again, like Karen and Donna, if I skipped ahead I ended up going back to re-read. Once I was into the story I couldn't put it down. I couldn't even fix supper without this book in the other hand. I thought the story flowed smoothly. Mr. Dahlquist was able to lead me from point to point very well with just the right amount of details to pique my curiosity to turn the next page.

--------------------
user posted image
Karen
Posted: Jan 12 2009, 12:58 PM

Administrator/Owner

I carried that boig old heavy book everywhere I went!! I even read it while in line at the bank!!

THanks so joining in...we have a few more questions to go so you are just in time!

--------------------
user posted image

herestoyou
Posted: Jan 12 2009, 08:14 PM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 21

I had trouble at first with the way it was separated per character but found later that this actually helps the time line of the beginning. Or it did for me. At first you 'see' everything through Miss Temples viewpoint. Then, when you start reading how Cardinal Chang came to be on the train to Harshmort, you get more insight into Miss Temple from Chang's point of view. Does that make sense to anyone?

Yes!! It makes perfect sense to me as well. I'm reading another book that is set up just like this. You start to form opinions about other characters and then when you read their viewpoint, it changes your mind. I really like that in books.........

-Donna

--------------------
"It is not the destination so much as the journey" ~Capt. Jack Sparrow
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2013 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com