Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!
We've had news that Johnny's project with JP Donleavy, THE GINGER MAN is finally moving forward. And we've also heard that "Pintel" will be returning for POTC5! I can't help but wonder who will be next?

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no paparazzi images of his children be posted.

Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3  ( Go to first unread post )

GB #1 - Miss Temple! What were you thinking?
amp
Posted: Jan 6 2009, 09:45 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 84

Yeah, Miss Temple is a "spinster" at age 25. Poor thing.

--------------------
user posted image
sandsitive
Posted: Jan 6 2009, 11:35 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 115

I'm in agreement that I would track him down if only to have him tell me 'why' face to face. However, after the events at Harschmort I probably would have run for the hills. Hints of her background and nature lead the reader to believe she has seen the seedy side of life and perhaps that, in it's self, has given her to courage to continue until she has an answer.

Anne R - Keep reading! I too had trouble getting started but after I did...I couldn't put the book down! smile.gif And I can hardly wait for the sequel! tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Artemisa
Posted: Jan 6 2009, 02:15 PM

Member No.: 7,898

QUOTE (Karen @ Jan 5 2009, 08:38 PM)
Let me add that I'm so happy to see so many joining in and welcome Artemisa!  We are happy to have you discussing this with us!

Thank you Karen. I'm a bit nervous as I am very new here..I also confess I haven't finished Glass Books yet, I'm a good way through now though, so will try to comment where I can.

--------------------
"Love, the most generous passion of the mind...."
John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester
(1647 - 1680)
Karen
Posted: Jan 6 2009, 04:52 PM

Administrator/Owner

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Artemisa @ Jan 6 2009, 02:15 PM)
QUOTE (Karen @ Jan 5 2009, 08:38 PM)
Let me add that I'm so happy to see so many joining in and welcome Artemisa!  We are happy to have you discussing this with us!

Thank you Karen. I'm a bit nervous as I am very new here..I also confess I haven't finished Glass Books yet, I'm a good way through now though, so will try to comment where I can.

Please don't be nervous! grouphug.gif There's no right or wrong ideas and that's all we are doing...sharing ideas and thoughts. Jump in whenever you like!

--------------------
user posted image

No, I don't need help with my bags...I have a bloody manservant! - Charlie Mortdecai
Karen
Posted: Jan 6 2009, 04:53 PM

Administrator/Owner

Did anyone notice that the name Harschmort could be loosley looked at as translating into "Harsh dead"?

--------------------
user posted image

No, I don't need help with my bags...I have a bloody manservant! - Charlie Mortdecai
herestoyou
Posted: Jan 6 2009, 06:51 PM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 21

blink.gif Good one Karen---didn't make t hat connection at all.

-Donna

--------------------
"It is not the destination so much as the journey" ~Capt. Jack Sparrow
nemosfriend
Posted: Jan 6 2009, 09:24 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,134

I'm just back from LA mouse.gif and I'm glad I haven't gotten too far behind in your discussion. I think I will enjoy reading all the wonderfully intelligent thoughts of you all more than I did reading the book in general. OK, enough of a prologue...

Being a Scorpio who doesn't take rejection lightly, I would have tortured myself emotionally by following the creep around!

I couldn't help thinking about why he named her Miss Temple. It has a religious connotation, of course. But I like what some of you have said as this was her journey to her Self, a spiritual quest. Well, I don't know, since it's been a while since I finished the book! unsure.gif
Karen
Posted: Jan 6 2009, 10:23 PM

Administrator/Owner

I'm really so excited that so many of you have shared these wonderful and insightful thoughts and ideas. Everything that's said helps me see the situation a little more differently.

And I like the idea of her name having a religious or spiritual connotation, and I like that her first name is Celeste, as in celestial. woohoocheer.gif

--------------------
user posted image

sandluvsjd
Posted: Jan 7 2009, 03:40 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,352

Sorry to chime in so late with this question but just finished GB. I just wanted to say that I agree with all who have said they would try to find out what went wrong. I too would have a hard time just letting it go and move on. However I would not last long when things started getting creepy. I admire her for sticking with it and would like to say I would do the same. But that would not be the case with me. One of you said they would hire someone to continue the quest for answers. I would do the same. Send someone else off for the answers I am looking for. rolleyes.gif
Sandra
Karen
Posted: Jan 7 2009, 07:51 AM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (sandluvsjd @ Jan 7 2009, 03:40 AM)
Sorry to chime in so late with this question but just finished GB. I just wanted to say that I agree with all who have said they would try to find out what went wrong. I too would have a hard time just letting it go and move on. However I would not last long when things started getting creepy. I admire her for sticking with it and would like to say I would do the same. But that would not be the case with me. One of you said they would hire someone to continue the quest for answers. I would do the same. Send someone else off for the answers I am looking for. rolleyes.gif
Sandra

It's never too late Sandra for anyone to jump in on any question, in any of our discussions. woohoocheer.gif Not everyone has finished the book yet and often as we move along with the discussions, sometimes other ideas and thoughts pop into our minds. So everyone...jusmp in anytime!

--------------------
user posted image

Depputante
Posted: Jan 7 2009, 12:19 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 277

Just back from Japan. Late to jump in.

Personally, when I was younger, II probably would have turned around and went back home. However I found myself cheering her on because I really like her determination.
Karen
Posted: Jan 7 2009, 09:12 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (Depputante @ Jan 7 2009, 12:19 PM)
Just back from Japan. Late to jump in.

Personally, when I was younger, II probably would have turned around and went back home. However I found myself cheering her on because I really like her determination.

I really like the way Dahlquist wrote such differing characters and still managed to make them all their own.

--------------------
user posted image

HeidiGrant40
Posted: Jan 8 2009, 12:03 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 307

Late agin - but agreed.gif
amp
Posted: Jan 8 2009, 08:01 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 84

QUOTE (Karen @ Jan 6 2009, 05:53 PM)
Did anyone notice that the name Harschmort could be loosley looked at as translating into "Harsh dead"?

Immediately. "dread"ful.

--------------------
user posted image
GypsyLady
Posted: Jan 10 2009, 09:58 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,447

I think Miss Temple was a very independent woman for her time. However, I think she was really hurt by not being told in person that the engagement was off. I would be mad wub.gif I would want to know why he would do this to me and was it another woman? I think I would have gone in that house to find out. My desire to know the whole truth would have over powered my fear. I really think that is why she didn't back down.

--------------------
Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. Winston Churchill
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2014 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com