Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
We've seen the first teaser trailer for MORTDECAI! How fun!!
THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS is still filming in the UK and it looks like Johnny's there filming!

TUSK opens Friday the 19th here in the US!

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no paparazzi images of his children be posted.

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

GB #1 - Miss Temple! What were you thinking?
Karen
Posted: Jan 5 2009, 07:50 AM

Administrator/Owner

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

8 days after her arrival in the city to marry Roger Bascombe, the note from him arrived "severing their engagement, closing with the politely expressed desire that she take pains to never contact nor see him in any way for the complete remainder ofher days."

So of course she does just the opposite and sets out to follow him.

What would you have done if you were Miss Temple?

--------------------
user posted image

No, I don't need help with my bags...I have a bloody manservant! - Charlie Mortdecai
amp
Posted: Jan 5 2009, 11:48 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 84

That's a hard question. I think I probably would have done just what she did. I think of lot of us will say the same. To get such a vague, unexplained rejection would make me burn with curiosity and outrage.
The draw of needing to know why is very powerful. Had she only known it involved a dangerous plot of power and intrigue, she might have thought better of it.

She just wanted to know why, and I think I would too.
A healthy sense of curiosity is part of a healthy intellect.

--------------------
user posted image
Ellen
Posted: Jan 5 2009, 01:02 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 8

Although I'm not close to finishing the book, I can answer this. And, I have to agree with Arnelle. I would never rest easy without knowing why, or for whom, he left. No reason why would lead me to believe it was another woman. My curiosity would get the better of me.

--------------------
user posted image

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. George R.R. Martin

The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it. Ernest Hemingway
Artemisa
Posted: Jan 5 2009, 01:06 PM

Member No.: 7,898

I don't think I would have Miss Temple's courage! Especially when she arrives at Harschmort for the first time..I found those scenes where she was left in the room on her own truly chilling!

I'd have been desperate to know why he had severed the engagement, but I think I'd had a Victorian attack of "the vapours" and pursued it no further!

--------------------
"Love, the most generous passion of the mind...."
John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester
(1647 - 1680)
HeidiGrant40
Posted: Jan 5 2009, 01:09 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 307

I'm with amp and Ellen. Too many Nancy Drew books in me. I would have been outtathere fast after seeing Cardinal Chang on the train. ninja.gif enough of Bascomb.
amp
Posted: Jan 5 2009, 03:53 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 84

QUOTE (HeidiGrant40 @ Jan 5 2009, 02:09 PM)
I would have been outtathere fast after seeing Cardinal Chang on the train.  ninja.gif  enough of Bascomb.

You've got a point there, Heidi. I think I would have put my curiosity aside in favor of my safety at that point. I'm not so brave or foolish. Also, I'm not so young or affluent.

--------------------
user posted image
MerryK
Posted: Jan 5 2009, 06:58 PM

Member No.: 11

I would have wanted to know "why" the engagement was broken and why couldnt he have told me to my face... I would have deserved that much!!! I probably would have started to follow him too if I could not get a face to face with him. But like some of you others, when it got to creepy I would have definitely stopped and found some other course of action like hiring someone to follow him and find out what they could. I would have written him definitely a powerful letter and had it delivered directly to him!!!

~ Mary Kay user posted image
Karen
Posted: Jan 5 2009, 07:37 PM

Administrator/Owner

I'm right there with y'all, I'd be fine until things got scary. BUT that's what I like about Miss Temple, she's got guts and for a woman in that time period? That really says a lot. oops.gif That's almost another discussion point. wink.gif

--------------------
user posted image

No, I don't need help with my bags...I have a bloody manservant! - Charlie Mortdecai
Karen
Posted: Jan 5 2009, 07:38 PM

Administrator/Owner

Let me add that I'm so happy to see so many joining in and welcome Artemisa! We are happy to have you discussing this with us!

--------------------
user posted image

HeidiGrant40
Posted: Jan 5 2009, 08:12 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 307

QUOTE (MerryK @ Jan 5 2009, 06:58 PM)
I would have wanted to know "why" the engagement was broken and why couldnt he have told me to my face... I would have deserved that much!!! I probably would have started to follow him too if I could not get a face to face with him. But like some of you others, when it got to creepy I would have definitely stopped and found some other course of action like hiring someone to follow him and find out what they could. I would have written him definitely a powerful letter and had it delivered directly to him!!!

~ Mary Kay user posted image

rockon.gif MerryK! Blast him. writing.jpg
herestoyou
Posted: Jan 5 2009, 08:56 PM

Member No.: 21

Yaay--we're starting the discussion. I'll add my thoughts before reading everyone else's above me.

I think the author had her take the opposite action to begin showing her true character. To me she wasn't the typical Victorian woman, and her independence shows in this decision. I think at some point in the booik, there are comments that she was "older" and still not married, so she apparently was not willing to give up her own independence for a man---until she met Roger(the jerk!) Plus, if she didn't take the opposite action, we wouldn't have been able to follow her on her adventure, which really was the discovery of her true self, too.

-Donna

--------------------
"It is not the destination so much as the journey" ~Capt. Jack Sparrow
herestoyou
Posted: Jan 5 2009, 08:58 PM

Member No.: 21

I agree with those that said they would maybe have begun like MT did, but once I got to that house and saw some of the creepy stuff, I would have been out of there and thankful that I didn't end up marryiing the guy.

-Donna

--------------------
"It is not the destination so much as the journey" ~Capt. Jack Sparrow
Karen
Posted: Jan 5 2009, 09:13 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (herestoyou @ Jan 5 2009, 08:56 PM)
Yaay--we're starting the discussion. I'll add my thoughts before reading everyone else's above me.

I think the author had her take the opposite action to begin showing her true character. To me she wasn't the typical Victorian woman, and her independence shows in this decision. I think at some point in the booik, there are comments that she was "older" and still not married, so she apparently was not willing to give up her own independence for a man---until she met Roger(the jerk!) Plus, if she didn't take the opposite action, we wouldn't have been able to follow her on her adventure, which really was the discovery of her true self, too.

-Donna

Good one Donna, and yes there are comments about her being older and he makes it clear that she's pretty much on her own....just that aunt. That way, I think it allowed her to be gone and not have people to answer to.

--------------------
user posted image

nurseanne8
Posted: Jan 5 2009, 10:03 PM

Member No.: 12

I confess on am on page 100 and have been struggling to finish this book- it does not hold my interest but aftering reading the responses-maybe I will give it one more attempt. The responses have been very interesting. Anne R smile.gif
Karen
Posted: Jan 5 2009, 10:09 PM

Administrator/Owner

I hope you can get into it this time Anne. woohoocheer.gif

--------------------
user posted image

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2013 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com