Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!

We've seen the first teaser trailer for MORTDECAI! How fun!!

THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS has begun filming in the UK, not sure if Johnny's on location yet...

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no identifying images of his children be posted here.

ES Discussion Question #2, Johnny, Tim & those silent film stars
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 12:10 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

Originally Posted by Karen
on 12/07/04 at 06:15 AM

In Tim Burton's commentary, he mentions more than once, that Johnny brought a "silent film star" quality to this role. So much of the film is done in shadow and tints of black, white and gray to contrast the pastels.

Do you have a favorite scene where this "silent film star" quality really pops out to you? Which one?

--------------------
I'm Captain Jack Sparrow, savvy
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 12:11 PM

MadScntst

I don't know if it's a favorite per se. But one that always comes to mind is when they're at the dinner table, and poor Edward is trying so desperately to eat that pea. I love how the whole family holds their breath, and then, boom, he drops it. I just wanna hug the poor fellow. But I'll bet it was a fun scene to shoot. (Also a quick shot that's pretty much the opposite- someone asks him for a pat of butter, and he does so effortlessly

I'm sure there are many more, though. How about his face in the scene with Kathy Baker in the hairdresser's

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 12:11 PM

JP

One of my favorite funny scenes is where they are in the soon to be beauty shop, and he is laying back in the chair...........those eyes and the panic in them!

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 12:12 PM

BarbToo

I must say that I love his reaction to the offer of a glass of "lemonade". LOL

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 12:13 PM

Jeppody

I love the part where he is sitting on the kerb with the dog, and he snips the hair away from it's eyes. Two pairs of sorrowful brown eyes!!

But the scene that gets me everytime, and is sooo "silent movie" is when Vincent Price shows Edward his hands, and he is gently touching them.

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 12:14 PM

Karen

And he gives one a teeny little gentle kiss. Awww

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 12:15 PM

MerryK

Oh yes.. the way he is examing and looking at his new hands & fingers.. and then that soft tiny kiss .. so so sweet.

The kind of "silent movie" scene that I particularly like.. and it's not really in the darker hues.. except for Edward, himself... and not so serious .. more of in the comedic sense.. is when he is in the car with Peggy going back to her home. Edward is sitting and looking all around and taking it all in .. the smile on his face.. he looks like he is about to burst.. the innocence of him. But when he goes to look to the right and smacks his face into the door window.. the look on him, his reaction.. from his eyes & face is priceless.
user posted image

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 12:19 PM

ForeverinmyheartJD

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
In Tim Burton's commentary, he mentions more than once, that Johnny brought a "silent film star" quality to this role. So much of the film is done in shadow and tints of black, white and gray to contrast the pastels. 
Do you have a favorite scene where this "silent film star" quality really pops out to you?  Which one?

I love everyone's responses.

The one thing about this movie that always intrigued me was what he could convey with his eyes. <sigh>. A couple of scenes that I will always love are two that are between Johnny and Winona. Maybe its because they were seeing each other at this point. When she says "Hold me", and he looks at her and says "I can't" and then there is just this look in his eyes that is so intense <sigh> - and also when she tells him "to run" near the end, after the van almost runs her brother over and they all start fighting, he again looks right into her eyes with such intensity. To me, you can see so much more in those looks with just those few seconds and his eyes say it all.

Oh, how I love those brown eyes <sigh>

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 12:21 PM

deppmania2003

One that pops out to me is the one in the bedroom of course. When he discovers the mirror and makes a hole in the bed. The expressions on his face there do have the most reverence to silent movies to me. They are really giving me shivers and are so well done. I still can not see why he didn't get an Oscar for this movie really.

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 12:22 PM

LauraB

Gosh, I really love all the scenes. Hard to chose just one, but I really liked his reaction to the "lemonade."

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 12:23 PM

sallytojack

I don't think I can pick just one. Therre's so many amazing silent movie-type moments in this film.
I love the scene where he gets his hands, like many of you. So much going on in his eyes there and it's so tender and sad all at the same time.

The other ones that spring to mind are:
-the scenes where Peg is putting makeup on him. Such great comedy without a word.
-When he gets trapped in Jim's parents house.
-When he starts to lose it - raking his hands alongside the mirror, and giong down the hallway.
-The looks when he stabs Jim, and his last few moments with Kim.
Geez, I'm all misty just thinking about these.
Doesn't matter how many times I have seen this film, I cannot get through it without bawling like an infant. Every. Single. Time.

--------------------
captainjacksparrow
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 12:24 PM

Jeppody

Quote Originally Posted by sally2jack
Geez, I'm all misty just thinking about these.
Doesn't matter how many times I have seen this film, I cannot get through it without bawling like an infant.  Every.  Single.  Time.

Me too!!

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2013 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com