zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
HAPPY AUTUMN!!

We've had news that Johnny's project with JP Donleavy, THE GINGER MAN is finally moving forward. And we've also heard that "Pintel" will be returning for POTC5! I can't help but wonder who will be next? MARTY! Marty's back too! arrrrrrrrrrr

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no paparazzi images of his children be posted.

Discussion Point 2, Oh Johnny?
jeppody
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 06:32 AM

Moderator/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Originally Posted by Karen 9th November 2004

Since we know that Johnny's company has bought this as a future project for Johnny, what do you think attracted him to this book? Why?

We are all both fans of JD and lovers of books, what do you find most appealing for him as an actor in this story?

--------------------
user posted image
Made for me by Johnnydepplover. Thanks Sam.
jeppody
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 06:36 AM

Moderator/Admin

BarbToo

I'll start off with the first things that come to my mind. I might think of more later.

First, Johnny loves a good challenge.
Second, I've heard that he's said that he takes roles for the education in them. He'll get plenty of both in this.

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 06:37 AM

Moderator/Admin

MerryK

I think what drew him to this book was the uniqueness of the subject matter. For myself, just learning what the book was about was enough to make me want to read it. I'm sure it was similiar for Johnny too. One cant help but wonder how they would cope if a situation such as Baudy's was forced on them. How to handle the everyday little things. I'm sure these same thoughts ran through Johnny's head too. And the fact that this man wrote this book just from blinking.. is right there in itself.. enough reason to draw anyone to it.

I agree that I would think Johnny would think this to be a big challenge too. This is where he is going to have to get across his ideas.. what he is thinking just through very very limited facial expressions. Almost like a silent movie.. which we all know he is a fan of.

While reading the book I couldnt help but think how Johnny would interpret different scenes. I wont touch on that now.. cause I'm thinking that just may be a question down further on teachers list.

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 06:39 AM

Moderator/Admin

Jeppody

Good one Mary Kay. Mind you, it doesn't leave a lot for the rest of us to say!!! I especially like the Silent Movie idea, I hadn't thought of that.

One other thing that hasn't already been mentioned. Yet again, Johnny will be hiding his looks, just as he likes, and we don't!!!

I feel that this will be his biggest challenge so far, but I can't think of a single actor who could do it better, knowing how sensitive he is to relatives and friends of the actual characters he portrays.

Just a final thought, before anybody else claims it first. Can I have the part of Claude please? Imagine it, all day, just sitting and staring into THAT left eye!!! .............where's a THUD smilie when you need one??

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 06:39 AM

Moderator/Admin

Deppmania2003

Oh! you all have great opinions on why he would do this movie and I find them all so true and can see them in Johnny's mind.

One thing to add maybe is the fact that Bauby writes in a humorous way sometimes and we all know Johnny likes to add some humor in to his act. So the combination of sadness and humor is something he saw too I think.

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 06:40 AM

Moderator/Admin

MadScntst

Oh well, y'all have already given my answers Yep, I think it was the chance to portray such a unique condition that he as well as the moviegoer can learn from, in addition to the physical challenge of acting under such restrictive circumstances, plus all the other great points you folks have mentioned that I hadn't thought of. All those things

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 06:41 AM

Moderator/Admin

Cindy

Everyone has given such wonderful answers that I've been sitting here doing mental aerobics to try to come up with something different to say. The only thing I could think of was Johnny seems to have a fascination for writing and writers. How many times now has he portrayed a writer? I think he is drawn to their whole creative process, and Bauby's situation was especially unique.

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 06:42 AM

Moderator/Admin

JP

Coming into this discussion so late..........Y'all have definitely covered the gamut. Silent movie acting, the appeal of the creative writing process, as well as the creative way in which the process is accomplished, I feel that all of these attracted JD to the project. To be able to portray a man so taken down by his own body's betrayal and how he overcomes that betrayal in his own mind and with others...............WOW. I am unable to think of anyone else who could do this with such compassion and honesty. Only Johnny.

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 06:43 AM

Moderator/Admin

MerryK

One thing to add maybe is the fact that Bauby writes in a humorous way sometimes and we all know Johnny likes to add some humor in to his act. So the combination of sadness and humor is something he saw too I think. 

Yep, that is something else too. It's not that funny "haha" humor.. more of that subtle.. dry wit humor.

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 06:44 AM

Moderator/Admin

ForeverinmyheartJD

Well I'm late in posting to this thread discussion as well and it looks like everyone has it covered. The things that came to my mind after reading the question and before reading your replies have been mentioned: the aspect of him portraying a character from a "silent movie" point of view as well as the outcast part. The silent movie point of view because so much would be focused on what emotion his eye(s) say and feel and we all know how much this has been touched upon that he does so well - speaks with his eyes. The outcast part (nicely said Sharon) came to mind because of how he has talked about being drawn to roles where the characters are as such and there is a small mention in the book which made me think of him in this way (being drawn toward this role because of Bauby becoming an outcast) but I will leave that for now in case Karen brings that up for a question.

I also liked the point that was touched on about the humour aspect. Like you said, not in the funny haha kind of way, but I know what you mean.

Johnny is so perfect for this role.

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 06:46 AM

Moderator/Admin

Sally2jack

I was reading an FN article on recently, an interview with MF, and one subject was about acting with kids and it being tough because you really have to listen and how most people can't listen in real life, let alone in front of a camera. Marc's reply:

"Johnny is the opposite. The less dialogue you give him, the happier he feels. We went through the script and cut dialogue, until I said, "No, you need to say this line!" "

So I'm just picturing Johnny looking into this project and thinking. "I don't really have to say anything on camera? Sign my ass up!"

--------------------
user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register Now

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2014 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com