Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
HAPPY AUTUMN!!

We've had news that Johnny's project with JP Donleavy, THE GINGER MAN is finally moving forward. And we've also heard that "Pintel" will be returning for POTC5! I can't help but wonder who will be next? MARTY! Marty's back too! arrrrrrrrrrr

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no paparazzi images of his children be posted.

3rd point - Molls, girls and paramours
Karen
Posted: Jun 4 2008, 11:01 AM

Administrator/Owner

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

In Ellen's introduction she notes that the women were referred to as "girls" in the press and then that Jean Delany Crompton is credited with begging the press not to "call us molls."

Have any thoughts about the use of the terms "girls" and "molls" and "paramours"?

--------------------
user posted image

No, I don't need help with my bags...I have a bloody manservant! - Charlie Mortdecai
Rose Sparrow
Posted: Jun 4 2008, 07:21 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 63

Whenever I heard the term moll, there was usually a word that preceded it, 'gun'.
So in my mind, the 'gun moll' was that stereotypical image potrayed in the movies, like 'Bonnie and Clyde'. Part of the gang, killers and thieves if need be.

I think I also read that a 'moll' is another word for a prostitute.
I'll tell you that if I were one of these girls, I would rather the public think I was with a gangster because he cared or loved me and not because I was just sleeping with him!

--------------------
user posted image
Karen
Posted: Jun 4 2008, 08:01 PM

Administrator/Owner

Thanks Rose, I sure agree. I think times back then were so different and restrictive for women. The names or terms were pretty derogatory. I'm still amazed that the women were able to buy cars in their names!

I can't help but wonder if the press continued using the terms as a put down? Or was it just the way things were then? huh.gif

--------------------
user posted image

No, I don't need help with my bags...I have a bloody manservant! - Charlie Mortdecai
Christine M
Posted: Jun 4 2008, 08:40 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,288

I agree the names/terms are derogatory and I can understand why she made the request not to be called a moll. These women were judged by who they ran with, the way they dressed, and their outspokenness

and another thought ~

This was after the 1920s, the era of the flapper, Margaret Sanger pushed birth control for women, Amelia Earhart, first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic, then there were actresses like Marlene Deitrich, Bette Davis, Greta Garbo. I believe the women wanted to emulate them. They didn't want to be grouped with Bonnie Parker.

--------------------
If there's any message to my work, it is ultimately that it's OK to be different, that it's good to be different, that we should question ourselves before we pass judgment on someone who looks different, behaves different, talks different, is a different color. JD

Rose Sparrow
Posted: Jun 4 2008, 08:41 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 63

QUOTE (Karen @ Jun 4 2008, 08:01 PM)
I can't help but wonder if the press continued using the terms as a put down? Or was it just the way things were then? huh.gif

IMO, it was definitely a put down.
Implying that none of these women were respectable or had a decent bone in their bodies.
How could they! LOL

But I do think that some people back then, both men and women, were fascinated/curious about these girls and exactly what type of life they actually led with these men.
Kind of like we are now! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
user posted image
nurseanne8
Posted: Jun 4 2008, 08:48 PM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12

I think that the terms were reflective of the 1920-1930's era when women were second class citizens and "unmarried" women who had intimate relationships with men rated even lower in the strata of society. The word that is the most insulting to me is when " girls" is used to refer to grown women-like grown women giggle and act silly much like young school girls on the playground. The word "paramour" sounds elegant to me and brings to mind a mistress that has been able to make a shrewd financial arrangement with her lover. The introduction of DCUM states that the term "moll" first was used to refer to a female pickpocket and later evolved to mean the women who associated and lived with gangsters and the word does fit their lifestyle of crime. Bottom line the terms girls, molls, and paramour sound a lot better than J.H. Hoover's term "disease-ridden harlots" those are fight'in words in my vocabulary. angry.gif Anne r
Christine M
Posted: Jun 4 2008, 08:53 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,288

I must say Anne r, you are right on there!! thumbsup.gif I like the way you summed it up!! claphands.gif

--------------------
If there's any message to my work, it is ultimately that it's OK to be different, that it's good to be different, that we should question ourselves before we pass judgment on someone who looks different, behaves different, talks different, is a different color. JD

Karen
Posted: Jun 4 2008, 09:20 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (Christine M @ Jun 4 2008, 09:40 PM)
I agree the names/terms are derogatory and I can understand why she made the request not to be called a moll. These women were judged by who they ran with, the way they dressed, and their outspokenness

and another thought ~

This was after the 1920s, the era of the flapper, Margaret Sanger pushed birth control for women, Amelia Earhart, first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic, then there were actresses like Marlene Deitrich, Bette Davis, Greta Garbo. I believe the women wanted to emulate them. They didn't want to be grouped with Bonnie Parker.

Good points Christine! Distancing themselves from Bonnie Parker was an important thing then.

--------------------
user posted image

Karen
Posted: Jun 4 2008, 09:23 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (Christine M @ Jun 4 2008, 09:53 PM)
I must say Anne r, you are right on there!! thumbsup.gif I like the way you summed it up!! claphands.gif

Ditto that! thumbsup.gif

And Rose, it is amazing that after all these years we ARE still curious about the "why" behind these women.

--------------------
user posted image

nurseanne8
Posted: Jun 4 2008, 09:47 PM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12

The "why" behind any woman's relationship with a man be it in the 1930's or 2008 is what keeps conservations between women interesting and seems to be the basis for either harmonious or jealous relationships between women in my opinion. smile.gif Anne r
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2014 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com