Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
We've seen the first teaser trailer for MORTDECAI! How fun!!
THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS is still filming in the UK and it looks like Johnny's there filming!

TUSK opens Friday the 19th here in the US!

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no paparazzi images of his children be posted.

Discussion Point 5, Scary Sounds!
jeppody
Posted: Jan 14 2007, 11:22 AM

Moderator/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Originally Posted by Karen 30th October 2004

Here's your next assignment. Just for a minute or two, watch the film without the sound. Is it as frightening? As compelling? Nope. Composer Danny Elfman has written the music for many Tim Burton films including 4 that JD is or has been involved with. They are: Edward Scissorhands, Corpse Bride, C&TCF and of course Sleepy Hollow. What special things did Danny Elfman's music bring to SH? Is there a fav bit of music that you like or find really compelling in the theme of the movie? What is it about Elfman's style that you think Tim Burton likes?

--------------------
user posted image
Made for me by Johnnydepplover. Thanks Sam.
jeppody
Posted: Jan 14 2007, 11:28 AM

Moderator/Admin

MerryK

Well.. I'm sitting here watching SH in complete silence .. started at the beginning where there is no talking.. up to the part of Ichabod arriving at the house.. and yep.. the music at this point really helps to set to the tone of the movie. But gosh.. I'm going to have to watch SH again to pinpoint some answers to your questions. Time to turn the volume back up.

You know.. I think I'm one of those type of people who needs all the questions first before I do the assignment

I just rewound and started over.. Ichabods carriage ride.. it's like the music really builds and then goes down.. then back up .. then back down. That kind of is giving off a creepy foreboding feeling of what is to come. I did notice the tone of the music was a bit more calm right until it focused on Ichabod looking at one of his medical instruments and then to his scars on the palm of his hand.. right at that point then.. the music took a slight sinister tone to it.

I watched "Big Fish" again the other night and caught it that Danny Elfman did the music for that. He's doing CATCF too, isnt he.

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 14 2007, 11:29 AM

Moderator/Admin

MadScntst

I will have to try to think of an answer to this one But Mary Kay's post reminded me of something that I think Tim brought up in the SH commentary- I think he joked that Danny was pretty sneaky to time the music so that it would swell just exactly when Danny's name appeared at the opening credits. Way to get yourself noticed, Danny!

It's almost eaiser to ask which Burton films Danny *hasn't* done the music for, isn't it? The only Johnny movie of Tim's that Danny didn't do was Ed Wood, but I don't know about the non-Johnny films. They certainly work very well together!

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 14 2007, 11:29 AM

Moderator/Admin

Deppmania2003

What I did was first look at the movie for about three minutes without the music, then only the music and after that both. When you see the movie without sound it is still a bit spooky and you can almost get the drift emediately, because of the facial expression of Martin Landau, the sound only is not that obvious but it gives a certain expectation (it reminded me of movies from Alfred Hitchcock) seeing and hearing you can almost feel the tension. One can not do without the other in my opinion so they are definately a great couple.

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 14 2007, 11:30 AM

Moderator/Admin

JP

I honestly think that Elfman is one of the best film score composers alive. He has that ability to get "into" the mind of the director. I think that Danny and Tim work so well together because they are both slightly left (or right) of center and see things in ways others can't imagine. Not a Johnny movie, but the Nightmare Before Christmas has to be one of my all time favorite scores. The music becomes so integral to the storytelling, that there was an obvious melding of great minds involved.

Being auditory, I have a difficult time watching a movie without the sound. I cannot imagine, for instance, the beginning 15 minutes or so of Dead Man without the haunting music of Neil Young, even though I can still obviously understand what is being seen.

Sleepy Hollow benefited from the three extremely talented men involved in its making (the others involved were not chopped liver, either). One can only hope that C&TCF will do the same. Hey, with those three men, how can it miss???

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 14 2007, 11:30 AM

Moderator/Admin

Cindy

I'm more a visual person, so when I watched the first few minutes without the sound I noticed the lighting played a big part in building the suspense. But with the music the whole scene came together. The music interweaves nicely with the other elements -- lighting, color, scenery, acting -- to create the moods in the story, without one thing overpowering another. Sometimes the music alone was the only clue you had that something was going to happen. But generally it all seems to work together in harmony to advance the storyline, and if you take one of the elements away you feel something lacking. I think, like the others have noted, that Tim and Danny think a lot alike, and they compliment each other well. Tim knows what kind of moods he wants to create and Danny knows how to go about creating them through his music.

Also, I have found that if you drink 3 hefty glasses of Merlot before you watch the movie you are better able to answer the teacher's more technical discussion questions. At least it worked for me the other day on the color question. Unfortunately, I only had the 1 hefty glass tonight, so I had no great insights.

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 14 2007, 11:32 AM

Moderator/Admin

Karen

While this isn't SH, if you think back to the scene in POTC when Elizabeth's carriage leaves the house for Norrington's ceremony......the swell of music tells you before you see what's coming.........that SOMETHING or SOMEONE is definately on the way...................the majestic music along with Sparrow on the mast, wind blowing his beads.........the scene is perfect with the music and flat without it. Not that JD can be flat. LOL

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 14 2007, 11:33 AM

Moderator/Admin

MerryK

I did notice too in SH when Ichabod is dreaming of his mother.. especially the part when they are in the woods together.. and then just her and she goes twirling up into the air.. the music at that point turns a little more whimsical like... not as dark.. probably because that is a happier time in his life.. just like when the colors are more vibrant there.. but as soon as the father figure comes into his dream the music changes back

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 14 2007, 11:34 AM

Moderator/Admin

Jeppody

Now this what a particularly cruel mission Teach. I sat down with no sound and couldn't take my eyes off Ichabod. Those expressions!! THUD!! I don't think................Oh My God!! FN has just been advertised on the TV.......Double THUD!!!.............Where was I? Oh yeah, I don't think I was ever scared by the film, but now I couldn't care less about the story, I am just melting here!!! Those EYES!!!

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 14 2007, 11:35 AM

Moderator/Admin

BarbToo

It's funny you said "scared by the film". When the commercials first came out, I hadn't caught JDOCD and I was honestly scared to go see the movie. I thought it was a horror movie. I never even saw it until just this year.

When I finally did watch it, I must admit to jumping and screaming out loud the first time I saw the witch jump out at Johnny in the cave.

--------------------
user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2013 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com