InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
Johnny and Amber just held their engagement party in LA over the weekend. Johnny's got a break in his schedule, so you never know where he'll be or what'll happen next! Check back often, you never know what's going on!
Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no identifying images of his children be posted here.

Discussion Point 9, How Hornby adds to a story
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 05:53 PM

Moderator/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Originally Posted by Karen 4th October 2005

Nick Hornby sprinkles references to music, lyrics, musicians...as well as books and authors in his stories. Why do you think he does that? How does it affect you as a reader? Does it add to the story, or understanding of a character for you? Or no?

--------------------
user posted image
Made for me by Johnnydepplover. Thanks Sam.
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 05:54 PM

Moderator/Admin

Jae

The ordinary references to bands, music, authors, etc...helps the reader bond more intimately with the story line and the characters. I think this was especially important due to some of the uncomfortable subject matter, suicide, broken families, infidelities, lost dreams...it can be rather depressing to read about their fallen lives for entertainment purposes. (I kinda dreaded getting started on the book because it was rather moody.) The common references broke down the boundaries for me not to view this from a distance and anchors in some of our own reality to an unrealistic situation. I doubt many of us would find ourselves in the dilemma of these four people. If we just looked at the story from the side of the woes, the book would have been difficult to get through and would leave you, perhaps a bit angry and unsympathetic. But with the more ordinary references and snippets from our own life, you can’t help but wonder what you would do in that situation and you find yourself routing for the characters to prevail. It draws you in more to the conflict.

On the other side of that, I feel like Hornby lets down the veil a bit and exposes a little about himself with these signature references. So it made me wonder about him periodically along the read. When I would get these glimpses, I thought that Hornby would be an interesting person to sit down with and have a pint and a chat. If ever in Nashville….

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 05:54 PM

Moderator/Admin

Karen

Intersting thoughts Jae....I'd love to sit down with him too...we know he has an extensive love of music...rock especially. LOL

Shoot, I'd love to sit down with all of our authors.

That reminds me, I am about to send off the questions for Mr. Hornby..does anyone have a last minute question for him? They are going out tonight...I am behind in getting them ready. AACCKK

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 05:55 PM

Moderator/Admin

Jae

Yea, Karen, ask Hornby when he wants to come to Nashville for a pint? LOL! I will email you some questions this afternoon. Thanks...I am glad to know I didnt miss the opportunity!

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 05:55 PM

Moderator/Admin

MerryK

I'm thinking too .. along those same lines.. that he threw in those type of references so that there may be some common ground between the reader and the characters in the book so there would be more of a connection to them.

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 05:56 PM

Moderator/Admin

Deppraved

Well, I appreciate his contemporary referrences, as it reflects the current day. I just don't know what else to say about this.

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 05:57 PM

Moderator/Admin

MerryK

I didnt see this brought up.. but I was thinking about it the other day. Did anybody else catch the reference that was made to the book "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" ???? I thought that was kind of neat since that is one we read & discussed and is Johnny connected too.

--------------------
user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2013 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com