InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
We've seen the first teaser trailer for MORTDECAI! How fun!!
THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS is still filming in the UK and it looks like Johnny's there filming!
TUSK has opened here in the US.

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no paparazzi images of his children be posted.

Discussion Point 3, About a Girl...Jess
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 05:20 PM

Moderator/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Originally Posted by Karen 28th September 2005

OK, now lets talk about them separately. What did you think of Jess? What makes her do the things she does? Where does her anger and rudeness come from in your opinion?

What do you think happened to Jen?

--------------------
user posted image
Made for me by Johnnydepplover. Thanks Sam.
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 05:21 PM

Moderator/Admin

MerryK

I dont think I really care for Jess. Thank goodness none of my kids are like her. As I stated in yesterdays discussion I do not like how she just waves Maureen off when she uses foul language.. like that makes it ok... she knows Maureen does not appreciate it or like it.. but that doesnt really matter to her. I think she is very much a "me" person... me me me me. I'm not done with the book.. there were times while reading I literally would say outloud.. "she didnt" .. like the time with the angel business. She just went ahead with what she wanted not really giving any thought to the others and contacted the newspaper. Sure .. in her head she probably thought it was ok.. since she had talked to them about it.. but that doesnt make it ok... none of them liked the idea.

I think alot of her rage and behavior probably does stem from her sisters disappearance. I've got a feeling that her older sister probably had a lot of pressure on her & was also maybe doted on by her parents .. being the first.. and that when she disappeared.. I dont think it was a suicide either.. that Jess felt that she was abandoning her. Jess learned to use her parents fear of losing her very well. But there were times.. that one in the group would in an off-handed way hand her a compliment and it would seem like her demeanor would change for just a moment and then she would go back to being the old Jess.

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 05:21 PM

Moderator/Admin

Ellen

I liked Jess. She was irritating and immature, but I liked her straight forwardness. I guess I was attracted to her character because she's totally opposite of me. Seems she was spoiled rotten growing up, but also ignored alot by her parents. She just didn't know how to take a compliment, IMHO, because she never got too many growing up. I think her parents just didn't want to find the time for her. Poor girl.

I don't know what happened to Jen, and admittedly, was a little disappointed that we didn't find out. Personally, I think she killed herself. Jess was on her way to do the same thing, then found this group of misfits.

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 05:22 PM

Moderator/Admin

JP

I don't dislike Jess, but she is not someone I would pick as a close friend. I couldn't handle having to walk around on eggshells. She would do the most insensitive, uncaring things, and then "talk" about it to the reader. When she did that, there were times I honestly felt sorry for her, and that there was a logical, truly sincere, loving person hiding inside. Of course, she would then pull a "Jess", and out the door that would go. This may well go back to the disappearance of her sister, Jen. I wonder if she makes Jess "disappear" by becoming the one no one wants around just so she can get attention and feel that she is truly "there". She seems to have a fear of being someone that is loved.

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 05:23 PM

Moderator/Admin

Captainjacksparrow

I am still reading the book...but I do not like Jess...
she seems to be a very selfish person and only thinking about herself ..(from what I've read so far)

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 05:23 PM

Moderator/Admin

Karen

Interesting! I wanted someone, anyone, to just get in her face.

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 05:24 PM

Moderator/Admin

MerryK

I think probably alot of them wanted to get into her face and really tell her off and what they really thought about her.. but yet.. they knew she was in a tender state too because she was up on that roof just like the rest of them.. so they probably held back those thoughts . I think they all knew what it was like to have somebody come down on them so they werent about to do that themselves to hurt. They were very tolerant of her .. at least what I've read so far.

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 05:24 PM

Moderator/Admin

Deppraved

She's an obnoxious, spoiled brat who shuns all social skills to spite her parents, whom I believe she subconsciously blames for Jen's disappearance. She is deeply traumatized by Jen's disappearance and she is in deep denial about it.

On the other hand, I identified strongly with her general sarcastic rebelious attitude that she uses as a wall to protect her getting hurt again.

Yes, you just wanted to give her a good swift kick but she is my favorite character in A Long Way Down!

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 05:25 PM

Moderator/Admin

Jae

Jess was indeed annoying, that was certainly her intent and she succeeded. She was very raw. I did get a kick out of her and Maureen going on their little mission to see Martin's ex-wife. The visuals I was having in my head were quite entertaining of the two of them traveling about. Jess was everything Maureen or Maureen's son was not...she was a whole different experience for Maureen. To see that spunk and originality...and rage had to excite as well as stress Maureen at some level. And then for them to actually bond enough to go off together had to be a real surprise for both of them. A real yin/yang pair there...and I got a kick out of them at times.

--------------------
user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2013 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com