Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
We've seen the first teaser trailer for MORTDECAI! How fun!!
THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS is still filming in the UK and it looks like Johnny's there filming!
TUSK has opened here in the US.

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no paparazzi images of his children be posted.

Discussion Point 21, Mutz begins to put it all together
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 02:16 PM

Moderator/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Originally Posted by Karen 4th October 2006

In the chapter "Out" Mutz and his men come across many things, including the severed hands, the horse with the flesh missing. As Mutz begins to put the scenario together, he suggests someone or some people were watching. And then in the chapter "The Avakhi" Mutz meets the albino and hears his truth about Samarin.

When did you put the mystery together?

What was your clue?

--------------------
user posted image
Made for me by Johnnydepplover. Thanks Sam.
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 02:16 PM

Moderator/Admin

Nurseanne8

I realized that Samarin and the Mochian were one in the same after reading the story related by the albinio to Muttz. The enty regarding the hallucinogenic mushrooms ingested by the albinio-left me uncertain but after the albinio recognized Samarin from Mutz's sketch I became firmly convinced. Anne r

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 02:17 PM

Moderator/Admin

Herestoyou

That clinched it for me, too. I think I really started suspecting Samarin in the chapter "Causes". He's explaining to Anna on p. 259 about being dedicated to a cause. Especially the line "What looks like an act of evil to a single person is the people's act of love to its future self. Even to call him a cannibal is mistaken. He's the storm the people summoned, against which not all good people find shelter in time." This was poetic and profound to me when I read it.

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 02:18 PM

Moderator/Admin

Nurseanne8

If you have time please explain what that line you quoted means-it left me scratching my head-to many words. thanks Anne r

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 02:18 PM

Moderator/Admin

Herestoyou

I took it to mean that if you're the revolutionary, which has been wanted(summoned) by the people, what may look evil to others is not really evil(cannibalism) if it serves the higher purpose of what the people want, i.e. revolution. The revolutionary may need to resort to acts that may be considered "evil" under OTHER circumstances, but are "acts of love" when serving the "cause."

I hope I don't sound like Capt. Jack doing the "what purpose is looking for the key to something we don't have........" dialogue here!

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 02:19 PM

Moderator/Admin

Karen

I hope I don't sound like Capt. Jack doing the "what purpose is looking for the key to something we don't have........" dialogue here!

LOL No, I think I got what you thought you were trying to tell us that you thought it meant.

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 02:20 PM

Moderator/Admin

Nurseanne8

thanks herestoyou-makes more sense-still a little wordy for my brain-does this give a hint to the what the title of the book means-that also has me stumped.

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 02:21 PM

Moderator/Admin

Herestoyou

LOL No, I think I got what you thought you were trying to tell us that you thought it meant. 

Touche! biggrin.gif

Looking at my response I think it stood out for me because I looked at it as relating to what's happening in the world today, even if that wasn't Meek's intention. We have extremists that feel they have a "cause" that has been "summoned by their people" to kill themselves and others in that pursuit of that cause. ie. terrorists In their perspective, these are "acts of love" not evil acts. I'm not saying I agree with this, but this is the parallel I got from that passage. It boils down to "the end justifying the means" in these extremist views.

I do believe this is where the title of the book comes from as well. Look at what people do in the name of love throughout this book. Of course, Anna is a big part of this, too.

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 02:22 PM

Moderator/Admin

Deppraved

Can a person have love for a revolution? Or is the love of the people, and what it seems to need in a given time period?

They don't call them radicals for nothing.

I didn't think of CJS, herestoyou, I thought of Spock, from one of the many Star Trek movies, the one where he dies, I think---"the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one." Simply put.

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 13 2007, 02:22 PM

Moderator/Admin

Herestoyou

Interesting point---maybe it's the love for a common goal to make a change. Yes, good ol' Spock hit it right on the head didn't he?

--------------------
user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2013 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com