Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
We've seen the first teaser trailer for MORTDECAI! How fun!!
THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS is still filming in the UK and it looks like Johnny's there filming!

TUSK opens Friday the 19th here in the US!

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no paparazzi images of his children be posted.

Discussion Point 4, The Country Wife
jeppody
Posted: Jan 10 2007, 07:09 AM

Moderator/Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Originally Posted by Karen 3rd November 2005

Here we have Elizabeth, the country wife, in London. On the other side of the stage enters Rochester, Etherege, Downs and Jane...then we have the King and Sackville.

The king plainly reminds Rochester that he released him from his banishment and it's time to pay up...pay his dues to the King.

Back to the Country Wife who is amazed at the fact that the King plays games with a prostitute and not his wife.

Now we have most of the exposition we need in this scene...but several of the people in this scene clearly made statements about what they expect and how they think.

Elizabeth's last speech tells us why she married Rochester."I married my Lord because he was romantic." Do you think she still feels that way, at this point?

Why did Jeffreys have her disclose this now?

And what do you think about all the info shared in scene 3 - Pall Mall? Did it change any way you thought about a character? Clarify anything?

--------------------
user posted image
Made for me by Johnnydepplover. Thanks Sam.
jeppody
Posted: Jan 10 2007, 07:10 AM

Moderator/Admin

Hibblette

This is the scene where we get the first inkling of the two Rochesters. The country wife says it herself.

We also get some of the humor that he has with the King...and you see right off that he walks the edge always with the Kings good side perhaps it is for me one of the redeeming qualities of Rochester that I do like. He found the whole aristocratic atmosphere and the pomp and circumstance to be fraudalent and silly.

Of course Charles II to me has always been interesting in History because I do believe that I have read that although officially they say he converted Catholicism on his death bed-truth was he was a closet Catholic all along and had the misfortune of being a King of a people that hated his church. Always actually believed this theory. It does say something rather good and noble about him that for the good of England he declared himself a Protistant but in reality he was not.

Now Elizabeth and her feelings for her Husband I believe yes she believed him still a romantic and in his way he is.

--------------------
user posted image
jeppody
Posted: Jan 10 2007, 07:11 AM

Moderator/Admin

Deppraved

The verbal parrey between the King and Rochester is most amusing! The (thinly) veiled mutual attraction/repulsion is exciting to both of them-it has the element of danger for Rochester. The King asks him nicely to keep a low profile and engage his wit for Crown and Country. Rochester is clearly not interested in such an appointment.

Rochester reveals his infatuation with Barry to his wife. She reads him like a book, but is confused by his duplicitous behavior. She tries to make him understand her heartbreak, but he is insensitive to her needs and does not wish to change to make things right between them.

Jeffreys discloses the circumstances about what led her to marry him to show why she holds out hope--she still sees that romantic side and holds on to the hope that she can reach that part of him, which is still alive. She is a devoted wife and really does love him.

--------------------
user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register for Free

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2013 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com