InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
BLACK MASS is filming now in the Boston area. We're getting lots of location photos so be sure to check in often! Who knows what we'll see today!

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no identifying images of his children be posted here.

Shantaram revisit Discussion pt #21, What 1 scene would you FIGHT to keep in?
Karen
Posted: Jul 20 2007, 07:04 AM

Administrator/Owner

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

We know from what Greg has said, that Johnny apparently wants most everything included in the movie. LOL We just know that many things will have to be cut, and we've talked about those...so let's flip the idea.

What ONE scene would you fight to keep in the movie? In other words.....what scene do you think is the most important for Lin's definition and character in telling the story?

--------------------
Now, bring me that horizon...
Depputante
Posted: Jul 20 2007, 11:50 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 277

The scene when he and Khader are sitting on a beach, waxing philosophical,
Khader explains how the universe works.
Lin seems to think this is a valid truth, and that we are hopeless to change it.
This , I beleive defines most of his charachter.

However someone points out, that he's jsut going, never saying no, and is at the will of whatever comes along. sad.gif

Nevertheless, I'd keep the scene, because I think it defines Lin, and a whole lot more about life .
herestoyou
Posted: Jul 20 2007, 12:20 PM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 21

Love scene between Karla/Lin------just the romantic in me. Also, I hope they keep the Tariq scenes in---I feel it hits home with Lin all that he's lost with his own family through his drug dealings.

--------------------
"It is not the destination so much as the journey" ~Capt. Jack Sparrow
Rose Sparrow
Posted: Jul 20 2007, 01:50 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 63

QUOTE (herestoyou @ Jul 20 2007, 12:20 PM)
Also, I hope they keep the Tariq scenes in---I feel it hits home with Lin all that he's lost with his own family through his drug dealings.

I agree! Definitely the scenes with Tariq!
And the ones where he and Karla are helping the people during the cholera epidemic. I think that showed the goodness and kindness that was in both of them.

--------------------
user posted image
Parlez
Posted: Jul 20 2007, 07:02 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Newbie
Member No.: 308

Since I seem to be emerging from this discussion an even bigger fan of Didier Levy's, I'd fight for the sequence I mentioned earlier, at the Palace. It's not only funny but it also shows Didier as something more than the drunken buffoon he presents himself to be. When he takes cool and deadly aim at Madame Zhou and the twins it remindes me so much of Captain Jack, when he turns deadly serious and shoots Barbossa in COTBP. Suddenly you know who you're really dealing with, or as GDR writes:
"That was the real man, the steel blade within the shabby, rusting scabbard. Didier Levy: one of the most capable and dangerous men in Bombay."

My second choice would be when Lin goes to Goa to find Karla and their romantic time there on the beach. Goa is beautiful, for one thing, and that sequence provides some much needed relief from all the intensity in the rest of the story. Besides, who wouldn't want to see Johnny in an idyllic setting with nothing but love on his mind!? thud1.gif

--------------------
user posted image
amp
Posted: Jul 28 2007, 06:12 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 84

For the comic relief, and just to hear it said out loud: the bus trip to Prabaker's village and the nutty conversation about who Lin is ("Is he married?". etc.)
and of course, the "shower" scene with Prabu freaking out about not being naked in India especially not without their clothes.
It has to be as funny to me as it is in my mind while reading it. Funnier even. Can't wait.
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
user posted image
rozoweskarpetki
Posted: Jul 31 2007, 07:24 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 535

Like amp mentioned, I really want the shower scene with Prabaker about not being naked wink.gif

In terms of more dramatic scenes, I'm paranoid that they'll cut the scene in the slums where the wife is beaten and how Qasim solves the problem. I honestly think it would be horrible if they did cut it because it's a very important point in the story about slum life and how these communal things work there which I think is very important to Lin's development.
Karen
Posted: Jul 31 2007, 07:28 AM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (rozoweskarpetki @ Jul 31 2007, 08:24 AM)
Like amp mentioned, I really want the shower scene with Prabaker about not being naked wink.gif

In terms of more dramatic scenes, I'm paranoid that they'll cut the scene in the slums where the wife is beaten and how Qasim solves the problem. I honestly think it would be horrible if they did cut it because it's a very important point in the story about slum life and how these communal things work there which I think is very important to Lin's development.

I think they almost have to have the "over underpants" bit for comic relief AND also to showcase the sweetness of Prabu!

And I think you are right about that scene...if does show something about Lin that the reader/film watcher needs to know.

--------------------
Parlez
Posted: Jul 31 2007, 08:37 AM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (rozoweskarpetki @ Jul 31 2007, 07:24 AM)

Thanks for this, roz, and for giving me new insights on how important the wife-beating scene is (and how it was handled) in terms of Lin's evolution. I reread that part of the book and found this great passage, spoken by Quasim Ali:
"In this way is justice done...because justice is a judgement that is both fair and forgiving. Justice is not done until everyone is satisfied..." "...justice is not only the way we punish those who do wrong. It is also the way we try to save them."
I hadn't connected the husband's punishment - forcing him to go down the road of excess before he could see the light and get back on an even keel - with Lin, but, assuming I'm following your interpretation correctly, I see now that Lin subsequently did the same thing, following Khader's way of life to it's only logical, excessive conclusion before being able to get back some balance in his life.

--------------------
user posted image
rozoweskarpetki
Posted: Jul 31 2007, 10:49 AM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Parlez @ Jul 31 2007, 09:37 AM)
Thanks for this, roz, and for giving me new insights on how important the wife-beating scene is (and how it was handled) in terms of Lin's evolution.  I reread that part of the book and found this great passage, spoken by Quasim Ali:
"In this way is justice done...because justice is a judgement that is both fair and forgiving. Justice is not done until everyone is satisfied..." "...justice is not only the way we punish those who do wrong. It is also the way we try to save them."
I hadn't connected the husband's punishment - forcing him to go down the road of excess before he could see the light and get back on an even keel - with Lin, but, assuming I'm following your interpretation correctly, I see now that Lin subsequently did the same thing, following Khader's way of life to it's only logical, excessive conclusion before being able to get back some balance in his life.

Wow, actually I was thinking along much shallower lines, but I think your interpretation is great! biggrin.gif
I was thinking more along the lines that there's this amazing trust in the inner goodness of people in that scene, even though at the same time it's violent and it's quite a primitive way of dealing with problems like that.
I definitely remember that somewhere in the books it says (perhaps it's Didier who says it?) that no other country could live like that with people so close to each other all the time and not kill each other, that India has so much love and that's the only reason it works. And for me the slums emphasize that more than any other part of the book. Every time Qasim deals with a problem, even if he's quite forceful, he actually shows love and trust in the goodness of people.
The other scene that comes to mind is when the two young men argue about religion and Qasim punishes them by tieing them with a scarf and making them clean the toilets. I also don't want that cut, but I'd be less upset than with the wife scene I guess. That wife scene has me totally paranoid lol I do think that whole issue of trust in the goodness of people is very important to the book and to Lin's character.
I totally overlooked what you're saying, but I think it's a great point as well! I'm sure that parallel is intentional.
Parlez
Posted: Jul 31 2007, 01:35 PM

Advanced Member

Okay, roz, I gotcha now! I guess maybe I'm the one who tends to go down the road to excess sometimes! laugh.gif
The concept of trust in the basic goodness of mankind is a wonderful point, and I think it was Didier who said that about India being the only country where people could live so stacked up on each other and not kill each other. Because India has 'heart'.
Another concept I hope they bring to the film is about 'necessity' - all the frantic, almost life-and-death fighting for a seat on the train, and then everyone is sooo polite to each other once they're settled in their positions. I thought that was fascinating too, and possibly unique to India. It certainly unnerved Lin until he understood it better...it seemed almost schizophrenic to me!

--------------------
user posted image
rozoweskarpetki
Posted: Aug 1 2007, 12:58 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Parlez @ Jul 31 2007, 02:35 PM)
Another concept I hope they bring to the film is about 'necessity' - all the frantic, almost life-and-death fighting for a seat on the train, and then everyone is sooo polite to each other once they're settled in their positions.  I thought that was fascinating too, and possibly unique to India.  It certainly unnerved Lin until he understood it better...it seemed almost schizophrenic to me!

Yes, that's another scene I really want them to keep in smile.gif I found that extremely funny - especially the bit where Lin gets up for the old man. You see, here in Poland older people can be very forceful about getting seats on buses (and I don't mean just those who are visibly struggling and weak - somebody usually gets up for them). In most cases older people use just verbal abuse, but my friends told me about a lady on a bus route near them who would take two seats and hit people's legs with her cane if anyone walked too near her!
Parlez
Posted: Aug 1 2007, 01:33 PM

Advanced Member

I actually witnessed that many times on the trams in Krakow! Funny ol' world, innit?! laugh.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Karen
Posted: Aug 1 2007, 03:12 PM

Administrator/Owner

When I was younger I worked retail in a huge upscale department store. I was surprised to see "nice older" women using their canes to get people to move!!!

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2013 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com