Create your own social network with a free forum.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
BLACK MASS is filming now in the Boston area. We're getting lots of location photos so be sure to check in often! Who knows what we'll see today!

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no identifying images of his children be posted here.

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

How Johnny heard about the bracelet, "Life is short, have fun" - Dustin
Karen
Posted: Dec 4 2006, 07:53 AM

Administrator/Owner

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Please note that this information is posted here on JDR with the express permission of Lori Butterworth at the Children's Hospice & Palliative Care Coalition. Please do not repost this info or Dustin's picture. Contact me by email at johnnydeppreads@aol.com regarding permission to repost. Feel free to post a link back to JDR. Thanks.

I asked how Johnny came to wear this wonderful life affirming bracelet and this is what Lori told me:

"Melissa Gilbert – former president of SAG – is on our board of directors. She gave Johnny the bracelet for Christmas – Dustin wanted to be an actor and Melissa granted him his SAG card 2 weeks before he died. Dustin was one of our very special children and a very close friend to me – an unbelievable young man! Johnny wore Dustin’s bracelet when he put his hands in the cement on the Hollywood walk of fame – the ultimate act for any actor. I can’t tell you how much that meant to us that our sweet Dustin was there with him."

Dustin's favorite thing to tell people was: "Today is a gift...have fun!"

Here is Dustin's picture: (posted with permission of the Children's Hospice & Palliative Care Coalition)
user posted image

Again, please place your order using their website, please do not phone them! Thanks

Click here: ChildrensHospice.org Online Store

Their website is: www.ChildrensHospice.Org

--------------------
Angelica to Jack - "How is it we can never meet without you pointing something at me?"
Ellen
Posted: Aug 25 2007, 02:09 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 8

I just went to Childrens Hospice website to order another bracelet. It seems that a few more have been added. Now, I can't decide which one to get. Wish I could afford one of each. If you've not checked them out before, they're worth every penny, and every penny goes to such a worthwhile cause. Now, back to my decision making....user posted image

--------------------
user posted image

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. George R.R. Martin

The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it. Ernest Hemingway
herestoyou
Posted: Aug 25 2007, 03:05 PM

Member No.: 21

Thanks for the heads up Ellen--you're right, some nice new ones there I hadn't seen. I just get choked up reading the descriptions of the kids underneath each one. I love the silver one I ordered, my daughter chose the leather braided one like Johnny----both of ours have held up very well, so I like the quality. I think I may need to another to my collection---

-Donna

--------------------
"It is not the destination so much as the journey" ~Capt. Jack Sparrow
deppfan4ever
Posted: Aug 25 2007, 04:20 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Newbie
Member No.: 66

I will have to look into getting another. The one that I have of Dustin's is wearing very well.

Nicci captainjack.gif

--------------------
Johnny Depp....God's Ultimate Masterpiece-Author unknown
Rose Sparrow
Posted: Aug 25 2007, 08:36 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 63

My heart breaks just looking at those beautiful children's pictures.
I have never owned one of these before so I bought the braided one that Johnny wears. I love the words 'today is a gift'.

--------------------
user posted image
Karen
Posted: Aug 25 2007, 08:38 PM

Administrator/Owner

Thanks Ellen for the updates!!! woohoocheer.gif

--------------------
Angelica to Jack - "How is it we can never meet without you pointing something at me?"
ReadinDeppth
Posted: Sep 21 2007, 08:11 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 114

I have had my bracelet for over a year now and I feel naked when I don't wear it. At one point I thought I had lost it and I was totally crushed. It not only is a connection to Johnny, but Dustin's message is so pertinent to me and I try to keep it in mind every day.

It's a great item to have. I have it on as I write this.

Thanks, Dustin.

--------------------
(Chicago 6/21/08 - 3:00 a.m.)
user posted image
"There is a feeling with certain people whether we know them or not that them breathing the same air, at the same time you are, that makes the world a better place to live in." ~ Nick Tosches
Ellen
Posted: Oct 20 2007, 05:18 PM

Advanced Member

After much deliberation, I ordered my "Just Love" bracelet. It's become painfully personal. A little girl named Esther, who will be five years old the end of this month, has been diagnosed with neuroplastoma (sp?), a very agressive cancer. She has stage four cancer, and her survival rate is less than 20%. Here' s part of an email I received about her condition:

"As many of you have already heard through email or phone calls, our oldest daughter, Esther Joy, has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Cancer. Stage 4 means that the Cancer has infiltrated her bone marrow, which allows the cancer cells to be easily spread through her whole body, by her blood stream. The main location of the cancer is a large tumor that runs along her backbone, from the about the top of her kidneys down into her lower pelvis. The tumor encases her aorta and other blood vessels in the pelvis area making it impossible to surgically remove it. Additional scans confirm that there are other areas in her arms and legs and vertebrae as well.

She began chemotherapy early Friday morning. This is the first of six chemotherapy treatments, each treatment consisting of 72hrs of IV Chemotherapy with two to three weeks of recovery time. After five treatments she will have a surgery to remove what can be removed of the tumor. Then she will have one more treatment to finish off the chemotherapy. Once she is finished with the chemotherapy she will need to have a bone marrow transplant. The doctors hope to be able to use a healthy sample of her own bone marrow for the transplant. The transplant itself will require a large dose of chemotherapy to kill off her current bone marrow before they transplant the new.

After the transplant she will need radiation treatments to kill off the remaining areas of cancer. This whole process will take nearly a year to complete."

If anyone could think good thoughts for Esther's recovery, I would be most grateful.

--------------------
user posted image

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. George R.R. Martin

deppaholic
Posted: Oct 20 2007, 05:37 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 254

QUOTE (Ellen @ Oct 20 2007, 05:18 PM)

If anyone could think good thoughts for Esther's recovery, I would be most grateful.

You bet, Ellen. My daughter lost a friend to neuroblastoma about 3 years ago; he had been diagnosed when they were in 1st grade. sad.gif

Rose
Ellen
Posted: Oct 20 2007, 06:27 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (deppaholic @ Oct 20 2007, 06:37 PM)
QUOTE (Ellen @ Oct 20 2007, 05:18 PM)

You bet, Ellen. My daughter lost a friend to neuroblastoma about 3 years ago; he had been diagnosed when they were in 1st grade. sad.gif

Rose

The cancer came on so fast. She seemed normal one day and five days later, she was in the cancer ward at Rainbow Babies and Childrens Hospital in Cleveland.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your daughters friend, Rose. Thanks for thinking of Esther.

--------------------
user posted image

Rose Sparrow
Posted: Oct 20 2007, 07:20 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 63

I'll definitely keep Esther and her family in my prayers Ellen.

-Rose

--------------------
user posted image
Ellen
Posted: Oct 20 2007, 09:41 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rose Sparrow @ Oct 20 2007, 08:20 PM)
I'll definitely keep Esther and her family in my prayers Ellen.

-Rose

Thanks Rose. I'll keep you all posted with updates on Esther.

--------------------
user posted image

Ellen
Posted: Oct 31 2007, 07:32 PM

Advanced Member

Esther will be on her way home to Oklahoma tomorrow. She'll be hospitalized there for further chemo treatments. Her white blood count was up enough for her to go home. Thanks for the good thoughts for Esther. She's a long way from beating this, but her family continues to take one day at a time.

--------------------
user posted image

Karen
Posted: Oct 31 2007, 09:04 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (Ellen @ Oct 31 2007, 08:32 PM)
Esther will be on her way home to Oklahoma tomorrow. She'll be hospitalized there for further chemo treatments. Her white blood count was up enough for her to go home. Thanks for the good thoughts for Esther. She's a long way from beating this, but her family continues to take one day at a time.

Thanks for the update on Esther, Ellen!

--------------------
herestoyou
Posted: Oct 31 2007, 09:27 PM

Member No.: 21

Ellen, I've just caught up with the the information on Esther. My heart goes out to her and her family.

-Donna

--------------------
"It is not the destination so much as the journey" ~Capt. Jack Sparrow
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register Now

Pages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2013 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com