Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
HAPPY AUTUMN!!

We've had news that Johnny's project with JP Donleavy, THE GINGER MAN is finally moving forward. And we've also heard that "Pintel" will be returning for POTC5! I can't help but wonder who will be next? MARTY! Marty's back too! arrrrrrrrrrr

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no paparazzi images of his children be posted.

Rob Marshall signs on for THIN MAN
Karen
Posted: May 9 2011, 01:27 PM

Administrator/Owner

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

MAY 09, 2011 (New York, NY) – Rob Marshall and John DeLuca have officially signed on to the Warner Bros. planned remake of THE THIN MAN. The pair will produce the film via their LUCAMAR Productions banner. Award-winning director Marshall is also confirmed to direct. The film will reteam Marshall with Johnny Depp, who is attached to star in the project. The two just worked together on PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES which Disney will be releasing on May 20.

LUCAMAR Productions joins Infinitum Nihil Company and Langley Park Pictures as production companies on the project. In addition to DeLuca and Marshall, Johnny Depp and Christi Dembrowski are producing on behalf of Infinitum Nihil, and Kevin McCormick is producing on behalf of his Langley Park Pictures. Jerry Stahl is attached as screenwriter. Says Marshall, "John and I are overjoyed at the idea of working with Johnny again, especially on such a classy and classic project. We are also thrilled to be partnering this time with such wonderful producers as Christi Dembroski and Kevin McCormick, and we are looking forward to working with Warner Bros. to create a reinvention of a beloved story."

CAA and Michael Gendler of Gendler & Kelly negotiated the deal with Warner Bros. on behalf of Marshall and DeLuca. THE THIN MAN is a remake of the Oscar-Nominated 1934 film starring William Powell and Myrna Loy.

--------------------
user posted image

No, I don't need help with my bags...I have a bloody manservant! - Charlie Mortdecai
BuccaRoux
Posted: May 9 2011, 03:03 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 27

thumbsup.gif

--------------------
user posted image
...................................................Peace, Love & Johnny Depp..............................................
wwjdd
Posted: May 9 2011, 03:26 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,691

snoopydance1.gif Banban.gif woohoocheer.gif yahoo.gif

--------------------
~Becca~ "I can name fingers and point names."

user posted image
ivycastle
Posted: May 9 2011, 03:51 PM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5

snoopydance1.gif That's great!
Joanie

--------------------
user posted image
herestoyou
Posted: May 9 2011, 07:33 PM

Member No.: 21

Great news--I really think Rob & Johnny hit off on Pirates smile.gif

-Donna

--------------------
"It is not the destination so much as the journey" ~Capt. Jack Sparrow
ReadinDeppth
Posted: May 10 2011, 06:26 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 114

Whooo Hooo ~ Go for it I.N. I'm still waiting to actually see that first production!

snoopydance1.gif

Holly

Wonder where this fits into the schedule? He must have the largest schedule book in the universe....

wink.gif

--------------------
(Chicago 6/21/08 - 3:00 a.m.)
user posted image
"There is a feeling with certain people whether we know them or not that them breathing the same air, at the same time you are, that makes the world a better place to live in." ~ Nick Tosches
Karen
Posted: May 11 2011, 06:03 AM

Administrator/Owner

This is definitely a "time will tell" article:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Rachel-Weis...make-24639.html

Rachel Weisz May Star Opposite Depp In The Thin Man Remake

Comment published: 2011-05-10 23:32:21

Author: Josh Tyler

Rachel Weisz May Star Opposite Depp In The Thin Man Remake image
Rob Marshall and Johnny Depp are working on a remake of The Thin Man in which Depp would take the role of Nick Charles, originally played by William Powell in the 1934 version. And now, we know who may end up playing his wife, Nora. Warner Bros. is considering Rachel Weisz.

The movie is a comedic detective story about a flirty, married couple who solve crimes. The 1934 version was nominated for an Academy Award, but if you picture this premise in a 2011 wrapper, you’ll probably end up with something like The Tourist, Killers, Knight and Day, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, or a dozen other movies with similar premises. The Thin Man was a good film, but that idea has been done so many different ways since, to differentiate the redo from the pack they’ll need special casting. Weisz and Depp together on screen seems like a natural fit.

Word from one of our most trusted sources is that the film is still in development and they’re waiting for Johnny Depp to make time for it in his schedule. Remember, he’s still pretty loaded with movies like The Lone Ranger, Dark Shadows, and maybe even a Pirates of the Caribbean 5 also in his future. Warner Bros. would like to find a way to squeeze Thin Man in ahead of those films, but for now they’re still working out the details. Because of that, Weisz isn’t actually in talks for the part yet, but she’s somewhere at the top of their wishlist for the moment when everyone involved is ready to make a move.

For her part, Rachel Weisz could really use a blockbuster, or for that matter a movie people actually show up to see at all. Her most recent work hasn’t exactly caught fire. She was last seen in The Whistelblower, which I bet many of you didn’t even know exists. Her next few movies seem destined to be equally obscure, though if Oz: The Great and Powerful ever gets going, she should create a stir as a witch. But barring that, teaming up with the ever reliable Johnny Depp in something like The Thin Man is always a good way to remind everyone of just how good you are.

--------------------
user posted image

No, I don't need help with my bags...I have a bloody manservant! - Charlie Mortdecai
BaxterPeanut
Posted: May 11 2011, 04:33 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,008

Geez - I read the comment section in the Deadline Hollywood article. Brutal. I guess it falls in line with a lot of the comments that site gets with it's articles about casting choices, but they all really tore into it. Disappointing to read.
Karen
Posted: May 11 2011, 04:40 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (BaxterPeanut @ May 11 2011, 05:33 PM)
Geez - I read the comment section in the Deadline Hollywood article. Brutal. I guess it falls in line with a lot of the comments that site gets with it's articles about casting choices, but they all really tore into it. Disappointing to read.

I agree BaxterPeanut! My fear for the casting of Nora Charles (one of my all time favorite movie heroines) is that they will cast for looks rather than comic timing! Myrna Loy as Nora was the epitome of a San Francisco socialite, charming, refined and smart...she also was witty, capable of the double entendre and could spit back sophisticated repartee without blinking an eye. This will be one hard role to cast.

And IMO Penelope Cruz' accent gets in the way of her dialogue. I'm holding out for either Emily Blunt or Jessica Biel... crossfingers.gif

--------------------
user posted image

wwjdd
Posted: May 11 2011, 05:25 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,691

I had wondered about Anne Hathaway for Nora. *shrug*

--------------------
~Becca~ "I can name fingers and point names."

user posted image
BaxterPeanut
Posted: May 11 2011, 05:56 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,008

While she might not be a popular choice, and is kind of more a TV star now - although she has a solid movie resume - I think Mary Louise Parker (the lead on Weeds) would be great. She's more age appropriate to Depp (it bothers me when so many male leads get such younger co-stars) and she engages in great back and forth, clever banter and has the chops to go toe to toe. Just another option. I know the chances would be slim and none.

I don't have that much of an issue with Rachel Weitz either, as her name is under consideration. She had some good chemistry and witty dialogue in 'The Mummy'. Whoever it is, I agree with you guys - the female lead is really, REALLY vital to making this a success. You're absolutely right. This needs to be a real CO-STARRING vehicle, not Depp driving the engine alone.
herestoyou
Posted: May 11 2011, 08:59 PM

I like Rachel Weisz--but admit I've only seen The Constant Gardener which she won the Oscar for Best Actress--great film that not a lot of people saw, too. I think she's pretty versatile....

I've also heard Kate Winslet & Cate Blanchett's name thrown in the mix, too, but all rumors.

-Donna

--------------------
herestoyou
Posted: May 12 2011, 07:34 PM

Just a bit from Marshall I found in an article about Johnny:

The fourth Pirates has given birth to another promising union, Depp helping select Rob Marshall for the director's job, and the pair are now looking to collaborate on a remake of the Thin Man movies of the 1930s.

"Its going to be a re-imagining of The Thin Man," says Marshall. "We're writing it now and Johnny is also co-producing. It will be set in the Thirties but we'll do our own version. I would never take The Thin Man out of that era of speakeasys, Martinis and murder. Johnny asked me half-way through working on Pirates because we have a very similar sensibility about making films. We both believe that not only do you work very hard and be creative, but also need a place where people are having a good and happy experiences because its your life, so it has to be a great experience."

LINK

-Donna

--------------------
Karen
Posted: May 12 2011, 08:19 PM

Administrator/Owner

Thanks for this new bit Donna!

--------------------
user posted image

valentina
Posted: Apr 1 2012, 04:12 PM

Group: Newbie
Member No.: 8,884

i hope they chose rachel or emily:)
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2014 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com