InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
BLACK MASS is filming now in the Boston area. We're getting lots of location photos so be sure to check in often! Who knows what we'll see today!

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no identifying images of his children be posted here.

TRD #3 Paul Kemp
Karen
Posted: May 20 2009, 07:11 AM

Administrator/Owner

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

user posted image

Paul Kemp...our lead guy.. let's talk about the many facets, sides and motivations of Paul Kemp.

--------------------
Angelica to Jack - "How is it we can never meet without you pointing something at me?"
amp
Posted: May 20 2009, 09:22 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 84

He has ambitions but no game plan. He lives in the moment. He indulges his base desires, on the spot, even as he feels contrite about it, and knows it will lead to no good end. Living like there is no tomorrow, but wanting more from life.

I'm at a loss for digging deep with Kemp. I think he's pretty superficial, even if he doesn't think so. (Maybe he's just written that way tongue.gif ) A malcontent with no clear idea of why he is that way or how to change.

--------------------
user posted image
Dreamcatcher
Posted: May 20 2009, 10:42 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,878

Exactly what i was thinking Amp smile.gif

~Louise

--------------------
user posted image
Karen
Posted: May 20 2009, 01:10 PM

Administrator/Owner

Why do we think Hunter wrote a lead character this way? How does Kemp move the story?

--------------------
Angelica to Jack - "How is it we can never meet without you pointing something at me?"
Depputante
Posted: May 20 2009, 03:43 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 277

Teetering between responsibilities and freedom.
Between the 'ihaves' and 'have nots'.

But I don't really see any dichotomy of good vs. evil.
I feel more of a general numbness throughout the book.
Karen
Posted: May 20 2009, 03:51 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (Depputante @ May 20 2009, 04:43 PM)

But I don't really see any dichotomy of good vs. evil.
I feel more of a general numbness throughout the book.

That's the feeling that I had too! No strife, no conflict....just numbness.

--------------------
herestoyou
Posted: May 20 2009, 04:51 PM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 21

I gree with what's been said, too. I do think there were parts where Kemp was more "moral" than some of the other characters in the book. One example was taking in Chenault after her ordeal----BUT he didn't do a whole lot to save her when she was out of control. He did try to stay away from her even though attracted to her because of her involvement with his "friend", but at the same time, doesn't speak up or stop Yeaomon from hitting her. So, I did see flashes of "morality" in Kemp, but often he didn't act on them.

I think Hunter wrote Kemp this way as it was based on his own experience. Maybe we're really seeing Thompson through this character.

-Donna

--------------------
"It is not the destination so much as the journey" ~Capt. Jack Sparrow
amp
Posted: May 20 2009, 05:02 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 84

I do think we're seeing alot of Hunter in Kemp. Write what you know, as they say.

--------------------
user posted image
Karen
Posted: May 20 2009, 05:33 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (herestoyou @ May 20 2009, 05:51 PM)
I gree with what's been said, too. I do think there were parts where Kemp was more "moral" than some of the other characters in the book. One example was taking in Chenault after her ordeal----BUT he didn't do a whole lot to save her when she was out of control. He did try to stay away from her even though attracted to her because of her involvement with his "friend", but at the same time, doesn't speak up or stop Yeaomon from hitting her. So, I did see flashes of "morality" in Kemp, but often he didn't act on them.

I think Hunter wrote Kemp this way as it was based on his own experience. Maybe we're really seeing Thompson through this character.

-Donna

Maybe we are seeing him through Kemp. We will talk about Chenault, I'll post her question now instead of waiting. wink.gif

--------------------
Karen
Posted: May 20 2009, 05:33 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (amp @ May 20 2009, 06:02 PM)
I do think we're seeing alot of Hunter in Kemp. Write what you know, as they say.

Very true!

--------------------
nurseanne8
Posted: May 20 2009, 05:42 PM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12

I agree with all the points posted by everyone about Kemp-maybe Hunter is giving us a bit of insight what shaped his personality and actions as he aged. I view Kemp as an unhappy person who cannot figure out what he really wants-exactly like HST-for a long time he had the respect of America with his Gonzo works but as he became more and more out of control respect for HST disappeared and if one studies pictures of HST he had sad empty eyes. Anne r smile.gif
JohnnyAngel
Posted: May 24 2009, 06:41 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,140

He seems to be more talk than action. He has aspirations and claims to be ambitious but lacks enough drive and conviction to do much about it. He seems resigned to accept mediocrity.

--------------------
user posted image
Karen
Posted: May 27 2009, 05:43 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (JohnnyAngel @ May 24 2009, 07:41 AM)
He seems to be more talk than action. He has aspirations and claims to be ambitious but lacks enough drive and conviction to do much about it. He seems resigned to accept mediocrity.

He does seem ready to accept the situation, doesn't he.

--------------------
JohnnyAngel
Posted: May 27 2009, 06:14 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,140

I really believe so.

--------------------
user posted image
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2013 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com