zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
It's February and #MURDERONTHEORIENTEXPRESS filming continues in the UK. His LAbyrinth filming has ended, and we've had a new trailer for POTC 5, coming in May of 2017.
Johnny's written the foreword for the 60th Anniversary edition of JP Donleavy's THE GINGER MAN. Johnny is a producer on the up coming film version.
Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the artistic works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no paparazzi images of his children be posted.

Here's our SUMMER READ here on JDR!, SLEEPLESS IN HOLLYWOOD by LYNDA OSBT
Karen
Posted: Jun 10 2013, 05:46 PM

Administrator/Owner

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

This book couldn't possibly be released in a better time! Just within the last few days, we've all wondered what was going on in "Hollywood" and what are those people thinking?? How many time lately have we all scratched our heads in unison here on JDR because of some bit of marketing, publicity or out of control "spin"??

user posted image

Author and producer Lynda Obst:

I was sent an advanced reader copy of this book, and I knew it was something we need to know about and discuss here on JDR. It's fantastic and sure answers some basic questions about how the industry has changed and what they are trying to do so they can keep making movies.

SLEEPLESS IN HOLLYWOOD is in stores beginning tomorrow, June 11, and is available on both Nook and Kindle e-readers, as well as traditional hardback form. wink.gif Booksamillion sells their form of e-reader and so does Bookish

Just so you know, we're going to single out a lot of the information that helps to explain some of the things we've been scratching our heads about here lately, I'll post a short bit from the book each day. I'll also post to Twitter and link back here, as well as on FACEBOOK.

This should be fun and a very interesting topic for us.

We'll open the discussion here on JDR on Monday July 15.

You won't want to miss this one...many questions will be answered.

Sleepless in Hollywood
Tales from the New Abnormal in the Movie Business

By Lynda Obst

user posted image photo source

The veteran producer and author of the bestseller Hello, He Lied takes a witty and critical look at the new Hollywood.

Over the past decade, producer Lynda Obst gradually realized she was working in a Hollywood that was undergoing a drastic transformation. The industry where everything had once been familiar to her was suddenly disturbingly strange.

Combining her own industry experience and interviews with the brightest minds in the business, Obst explains what has stalled the vast moviemaking machine. The calamitous DVD collapse helped usher in what she calls the New Abnormal (because Hollywood was never normal to begin with), where studios are now heavily dependent on foreign markets for profit, a situation which directly impacts the kind of entertainment we get to see. Can comedy survive if they donít get our jokes in Seoul or allow them in China? Why are studios making fewer movies than everóand why are they bigger, more expensive and nearly always sequels or recycled ideas?

Obst writes with affection, regret, humor and hope, and her behind-the-scenes vantage point allows her to explore what has changed in Hollywood like no one else has. This candid, insightful account explains what has happened to the movie business and explores whether itíll ever return to making the movies we loveóthe classics that make us laugh or cry, or that we just canít stop talking about. 

Lynda's official website: http://lyndaobstproductions.com/books.html

Lynda's bio from her publisher's page:

Lynda Obst began in films working with Peter Guber at Casablanca, where she developed Flashdance. She worked with David Geffen at Geffen films, then began as a producer and teamed with Debra Hill at Hill/Obst, where she worked on such films as Adventures in Babysitting and The Fisher King. She produced Nora Ephronís directing debut, This Is My Life, and Sleepless in Seattle among sixteen movies at various studios. She is executive producer on TVlandís Hot In Cleveland and is producing TV and movies out of her office at Sony.

--------------------
Captain Jack is back! Savvy?
nurseanne8
Posted: Jun 10 2013, 05:55 PM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12

Sounds like a great read Karen look forward to this book study. Anne r smile.gif
herestoyou
Posted: Jun 10 2013, 06:57 PM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 21

Sounds great Karen--thanks for bringing this to JDR thumbsup.gif

Donna

--------------------
"It is not the destination so much as the journey" ~Capt. Jack Sparrow
carpediem
Posted: Jun 10 2013, 10:43 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 182

There was a great article quoting Obst in "The Hollywood Reporter" this week. She has a lot of good insights about the entertainment industry.

I believe that the upcoming generation of filmmakers likely will be entering an environment in which the public consumes entertainment in a much wider variety of formats. Studio and indie films are only one method of sharing creative visual expression. Creative jobs also are develping in "transmedia," where storytelling separate and connected narratives are shared across various media platforms such as multiplayer games, Internet, apps, etc. That seems to fit with the way in which especially young people wish to consume entertainment, often multitasking between social media, texting, TV, and mobile apps, sometimes all at once.

--------------------
A step too far...
Karen
Posted: Jun 11 2013, 06:49 AM

Administrator/Owner

Carpediem, Obst really tells things like they are, she's been in the industry a long time and she stays on top. I may not like everything that "Hollywood" does but she does give us an insight into why things happen.

I think your observation is spot on, the reality of it scares me, somewhat, as IMO the multi tasking that people try to do now, means something isn't getting the attention it needs. LOL But then I remember when I was in my 20s, I read a book, watched TV and listened to music all at the same time. I guess it's the same thing, but different. Thanks for your thoughts, I hope you pop in during our discussion!

--------------------
ItDeppends
Posted: Jun 11 2013, 08:24 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 253

Geat choice Karen! Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I know very little about the business of Hollywood and am looking forward to reading this book. thankyou.gif

--------------------
Sigg made by Catherine's Creations (TheKid)
user posted image
amp
Posted: Jun 11 2013, 10:25 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 84

I am interested in reading the blurbs here whilst I await a borrowed hard copy. Will join when I can! THANKS Karen.

--------------------
user posted image
Karen
Posted: Jun 11 2013, 05:11 PM

Administrator/Owner

SO happy to see that you all are excited about SLEEPLESS IN HOLLYWOOD1 It's a different kind of read for us, but it sure will answer some questions for us! woohoocheer.gif

--------------------
amp
Posted: Jun 12 2013, 02:52 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 84

Darn! Because this is so new, of course I don't see it listed at my libraries. Yet! I'll keep checking.

--------------------
user posted image
Karen
Posted: Jul 11 2013, 06:35 AM

Administrator/Owner

Starting next week! And not to worry, we'll give you plenty of info, if you haven't finished the book yet. So many things will be brought out about today's film business and why the foreign markets are so important!

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright ÔŅĹ 2004-2015 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: johnnydeppreads@aol.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to johnnydeppreads@aol.com