Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to JohnnyDeppReads!
We've seen the first teaser trailer for MORTDECAI! How fun!!
THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS is still filming in the UK and it looks like Johnny's there filming!

TUSK opens Friday the 19th here in the US!

Register now on JDR! Registered members can see all new posts quickly and all areas of our community are open for all to see, you can also comment or share Depp news here on JDR!!

Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Name:   Password:

JohnnyDeppReads - a place to discuss the news, books, plays, projects and materials relating to the works and interests of multi media artist Johnny Depp.

With respect to Mr. Depp we ask that no paparazzi images of his children be posted.

GB #5 Do 3 parts make a whole?
Karen
Posted: Jan 8 2009, 07:57 AM

Administrator/Owner

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

In yesterday's question about Dr. Svenson, Depputante brought up one of our discussion points! I also asked Mr. Dahlquist about this HERE..

Depputante said
Chang abilities, without senses , as someone mentioned.
The inexperienced lady using all of her senses.
The naive doctor thrown into the realm of science.

What are your thoughts on these three together? On their own? Two together without the third?

--------------------
user posted image

No, I don't need help with my bags...I have a bloody manservant! - Charlie Mortdecai
amp
Posted: Jan 8 2009, 08:40 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 84

Sets of three always seems to work best. (beginning, middle, end)

Depputante's assessment is right on.

--------------------
user posted image
HeidiGrant40
Posted: Jan 8 2009, 12:14 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 307

They each raise the others capabilities.

On their own? Two together without the third?

On their own = they are dead or glass.

2 together = they are dead or glass.

They complete each other - a team.
Artemisa
Posted: Jan 8 2009, 01:54 PM

Member No.: 7,898

I agree with Depputante as well. This is a good summary of the characters.

Although I find Dr Svenson rather bland, as the plot is unfolding, I can see why he is necessary. I think the characters balance out nicely and complement eachother.

--------------------
"Love, the most generous passion of the mind...."
John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester
(1647 - 1680)
nemosfriend
Posted: Jan 8 2009, 08:00 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,134

I agree that 3 is a good number (odd numbers have a magical quality about them) and that these three folks in particular do balance each other out. It's interesting to me how readers bring their own subjective perspective to what they are reading. I quickly came to believe that the overarching theme is about how religion/corporations/governments come to control people. I saw the glassbooks as a medium...like television, if you will. And these three anti heroes were out to save the rest of humanity from this "evil" take over. I may be way off the mark... but I thought that the way Mr. Dahlquist presented this age old human dilemma, was very unique and interesting -- and disturbing, but I think that was necessary. smile.gif
Karen
Posted: Jan 8 2009, 08:09 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (nemosfriend @ Jan 8 2009, 08:00 PM)
I agree that 3 is a good number (odd numbers have a magical quality about them) and that these three folks in particular do balance each other out. It's interesting to me how readers bring their own subjective perspective to what they are reading. I quickly came to believe that the overarching theme is about how religion/corporations/governments come to control people. I saw the glassbooks as a medium...like television, if you will. And these three anti heroes were out to save the rest of humanity from this "evil" take over. I may be way off the mark... but I thought that the way Mr. Dahlquist presented this age old human dilemma, was very unique and interesting -- and disturbing, but I think that was necessary. smile.gif

What I love the most about sharing and discussing books is that we all do see things from different directions, and can talk about it and perhaps see things they way others see them, as well as the way we see them. Make sense??

This is what Dalquist said to us about this, I hadn't seen it this way at all. lol

JDR: Glass books. That's an interesting concept.

GD: I spent a lot of time working at Columbia University doing digital
publishing, working with computers I was the Columbia webmaster for a few years so a lot of it comes from hanging around computers and computer people. It's not so much about computers, as it is how we use technology, particularly
technology that holds information, whether it's a photograph or whether it's a
computer or a television, it really changes how we think about ourselves. If you
think about it, right now we can have just about any piece of music pretty
much anywhere and you think a hundred years ago the circumstances under which you would hear a symphony were really specific and they weren't portable and only so many people had ever heard one.

--------------------
user posted image

No, I don't need help with my bags...I have a bloody manservant! - Charlie Mortdecai
herestoyou
Posted: Jan 8 2009, 08:30 PM

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 21

i agree with what everyone's said--yes, the 3 together had the best chance of survival and preventing the hideous plot that was being hatched with the Glass Books. I also think the story is a comment on our obsession with technology and find the parallels of being addicited to computer images similar to the hold the glass books had on the people in the book. What's "different' is this technology being "available" in the Victorian time period.

Back to the original question though, all 3 had to use whatever "gifts" they had, to survive and try to destroy this plot. To be honest, I would love to learn more about Temple/Chang, and I too found Svenson not as interesting. However, this could change if we find out more about him in the sequels. smile.gif

-Donna

--------------------
"It is not the destination so much as the journey" ~Capt. Jack Sparrow
Karen
Posted: Jan 8 2009, 08:39 PM

Administrator/Owner

QUOTE (herestoyou @ Jan 8 2009, 08:30 PM)
i agree with what everyone's said--yes, the 3 together had the best chance of survival and preventing the hideous plot that was being hatched with the Glass Books. I also think the story is a comment on our obsession with technology and find the parallels of being addicited to computer images similar to the hold the glass books had on the people in the book. What's "different' is this technology being "available" in the Victorian time period.

Back to the original question though, all 3 had to use whatever "gifts" they had, to survive and try to destroy this plot. To be honest, I would love to learn more about Temple/Chang, and I too found Svenson not as interesting. However, this could change if we find out more about him in the sequels. smile.gif

-Donna

Well said Donna, computers are just as mesmerizing and adictive as the glass books.

--------------------
user posted image

Depputante
Posted: Jan 9 2009, 03:06 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 277

At first I thought these 3 would never coincide. Like what ?! Kind of shock and dismay. How could they possibly complement eachother, and then throw in the technology !

I went back and read the interview yesterday which gave me the background I needed about the glass books.

However, I am wrong, and the interact very well with eachother. So, Yes, I supose they do make a whole, in an odd sort of way!
Karen
Posted: Jan 9 2009, 04:07 PM

Administrator/Owner

Well, I think it's OK to be a bit "un"usually odd! wink.gif

--------------------
user posted image

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive

NOTICE: This site is maintained and updated by its owner, site moderators and fans of actor Johnny Depp, and is in no way affiliated with Mr. Depp, his family, agents or company. Copyrights and trademarks for the films, articles, music, books, photos and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design, my original artwork or photography as well as JDR interviews and book club discussions however are copyright © 2004-2013 JohnnyDeppReads.com. Contact: admin@johnnydeppreads.com

Please note that JohnnyDeppReads.com is not associated with any other sites, blogs, twitterpages, etc other than the ones posted at the top of this page (JDR blogs, etc.). Please report any abuse to admin@johnnydeppreads.com